This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Restraint Systems in Racing Accidents
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Some 634 accidents occuring in races sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) are reviewed. Shoulder harnesses were used in 275 of the accidents. Inverted “Y” or double, separately anchored, shoulder harnesses were used almost exclusively. A significant decrease in the frequency and severity of injuries occurred after harnesses were introduced. Injury from the restraint system was very infrequent; submarining occurred only once. Deep bucket seats, providing lateral support for the chest and forward support for the buttocks, appear to potentiate the effectiveness of restraint systems. The “Y” harness functions well in production seats without lateral support because lateral displacement of the shoulders and upper torso can occur without risk of neck injury.
CitationStates, J. and Ryon, D., "Restraint Systems in Racing Accidents," SAE Technical Paper 690246, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690246.
- American Medical Association Automotive Safety Symposium Workshop on Crash Phase Washington, D.C. September 1968
- Fulton J. C. “Seat Belts Versus Shoulder Harnesses.” Paper 660536 presented at SAE West Coast Meeting Los Angeles August 1966
- States J. D. Benedict J. F. “Safe and Unsafe Upper Torso Restraints for Occupant Protection in Motor Vehicles.” Seventh Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings 312 323 Springfield, III. C. C. Thomas 1965
- Saldeen T. “Fatal Neck Injuries Caused by Use of Diagonal Safety Belts.” J. of Trauma 7 1967 856 862
- Bohlin N. I. “A Statistical Analysis of 28,000 Accident Cases With Emphasis on Occupant Restraint Value.” Eleventh Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings. New York: Society of Automotive Engineers 1967
- Fredericks R. H. “Barrier Collison Investigation of Harness Restraining Systems.” Seventh Stap Car Crash Conference 3 19 Springfield, III C C. Thomas 1965
- States J. D. “Restraint System Effectiveness in Racing Accidents.” Proceedings of American Association for Automotive Medicine, 1967, to be published by C. C. Thomas Springfield, III.
- McHenry R. R. NcNaab K. N. “Computer Simulation of the Automobile Crash Victim.” Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory Report No. YB-2126-V IR 1966
- McHenry R. R. McNaab K. N. “Analytical Investigation of the Causes of Submarining.” Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory Report No. YM-2250-U-1 1966