This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Generalized Approach to the Thermal Analysis of Orbiting Spacecraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A generalized approach used in the thermal analysis of complex orbiting spacecraft is presented. The approach, consisting of the development of a mathematical model and its refinement, using verification testing, has allowed close predictions of actual spacecraft temperatures during flight. The application of this approach in the analysis of the Injun V (Explorer 40) spacecraft is presented as an example.
CitationGreene, R., Turner, R., and Watson, N., "Generalized Approach to the Thermal Analysis of Orbiting Spacecraft," SAE Technical Paper 690202, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690202.
- Van Vliet R. M. “Passive Temperature Control in the Space Environment.” New York The Macmillan Company 1965
- Willis, S. E. Jr. “Thermal Design of Current Navigational Satellites.” November–December 1966
- Nathanson D. Gabron F. Almgren D. W. “The Accuracy of Zone and Nodal Methods for Computing Spacecraft Temperatures.” AIAA Paper No. 68–63 presented at AIAA 6th Aerospace Sciences Meeting Jan 22–24 1968
- “Directory of Computer Programs Available from COSMIC.” July 1966-July 1968
- McCue G. A. “Program for Determining the Thermal Environment and Temperature History of Orbiting Space Vehicles.” March 7 1962
- Schultz H. D. “Thermal Analyzer Computer Program for Solution of General Heat Transfer Problems.” July 16 1965
- Skladany J. T. Rochkind A. B. “Determination of Net Thermal Energy Incident on a Satellite.” ASME Paper 67-HT-56 presented at ASME and AICE Heat Transfer Conference August 6–9 1967
- Howell J. R. Perlmutter M. “Monte Carlo Solution of Thermal Transfer Through Radiant Media Between Grey Walls.” J. Heat Transfer (ASME Trans.), Ser. c 86 1964 116 122
- Wiebelt J. A. “Engineering Radiation Heat Transfer.” New York Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc 1966
- Blevins R. W. Irving I. B. “Thermal Vacuum Testing of Satellites Without True Solar Simulation.” Proceedings of the AGARD-NATO, Specialists Meeting, sponsored by the Fluid Dynamics Panel of AGARD, Marseille France April 20–24 1964 115 125 New York Gordon and Breach Science Publishers 1966
- Toussaint M. “Verification of the Thermal Mathematical Model for Artificial Satellites: A New Test Philosophy.” AIAA Paper No. 67–304 presented at AIAA Thermophysics Specialist Conference April 1967
- Timmins A. R. Rosette K. L. “Experience in Thermal-Vacuum Testing Earth Satellites at Goddard Space Flight Center.” August 1963
- Guy W. W. Ellis W. E. “Vacuum Chamber Heat-Transmission Analysis.” February 1967