This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improved Methods of Evaluating Modern Gear Lubricants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents three test methods used to evaluate rear axle lubricants: the Ford motored rear axle test, the high speed Timken test, and the rear axle score test. In each instance, results are described, including the development of new rear axle test methods. Lubricants successfully completing these tests are considered for further evaluation.
CitationPotter, R., Gagliardi, J., Skutnick, W., and Walthall, O., "Improved Methods of Evaluating Modern Gear Lubricants," SAE Technical Paper 690154, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690154.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Rothrock G. L. “Dynamometer Testing of Gears in a Normal Environment.” Presented at SAE National Tractor Meeting Milwaukee September 1956
- Hundstad N. A. “General Motors Rear Axle Lubricant Recommendations.” Presented at Fourth Pacific Area National Meeting of American Society for Testing and Materials October 1962
- Sieloff F. X. “Automotive Lubrication Service Requirements - 1967 and Beyond.” Presented at Los Angeles and San Francisco Sections of American Society of Lubrication Engineers September 1966
- Calish S. R. “Laboratory Evaluation of Automotive Gear Lubricants.” Presented at 15th ASLE Annual Meeting of American Society of Lubrication Engineers Cincinnati April 1960
- Spehn G. G. Scotese R. V. “The Hypoid Gear Lubricant Market.” National Lubrication Grease Institute Pittsburgh October 1963
- Noll C. R. “Engine Design Trends as Related to Gear Lubricants.” Presented at Lubrication Committee, Marketing Division, American Petroleum Institute Detroit February 1956
- Hundere A. L. “Gear Lubrication - The Known and The Unknown.” Presented at 1st Gear Symposium, American Society of Lubrication Engineers January 1959
- Gasvoda R. F. “Test Criteria for Ford Passenger Car Rear Axle Lubrication.” Presented at Fourth Pacific Area National Meeting of the American Society for Testing and Materials Los Angeles October 1962
- Griffith B. “Hypoid Gear Design for Automotive Axles.” Paper 680076 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress January 1968
- Burton R. W. “Requirements for Hypoid Rear Axle Lubricant From a Car Manufacturers Standpoint.” Presented at Annual Meeting of the National Lubricating Grease Institute October 1962
- Gasvoda R. F. Gagliardi J. C. “A Motor Driven Rear Axle Test for Evaluating Gear Oil Stability.” Presented at 16th Annual Meeting of American Society of Lubrication Engineers Philadelphia April 1961