This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Crash Survival Space
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Occupant’s protection requires two design considerations: 1) reduction of decelerations on the occupant (restrained by a belt) by intentional deformability of the structure; 2) limitation of passenger’s compartment deformation to avoid passenger crushing. It is thought that the second trend should have basic importance. It is necessary to ensure a minimum space called “survival space.” This is also necessary in the event of severe crashes.
A survey is made of structure deformations due to longitudinal, transversal and vertical loads dynamically or statically applied on trucks cabs and car passenger’s compartments. A high-power static test rig permitting the study of structure is described. Orientative values of the survival space are proposed for truck cabs and car passenger’s compartments.
|Technical Paper||Heavy Truck Rollover Crashworthiness: Testing Methods and Development of Recommended Practices|
|Technical Paper||Heavy Truck Cab Safety Study|
|Technical Paper||ACCIDENT SURVIVAL - AIRPLANE AND PASSENGER CAR|
CitationFranchini, E., "The Crash Survival Space," SAE Technical Paper 690005, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690005.
- McHenry, R. R. “Analysis of the Dynamics of Automobile Passenger Restraint Systems.” Paper presented at Seventh Stapp Car Crash Conference, Los Angeles November 1963
- Martin D. E. Kroell, C. K. “Vehicle Crash and Occupant Behaviour.” Paper 670034 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit January 1967
- Renneker, D. N. “A Basic Study of Energy-Absorbing Vehicle Structure and Occupant Restraints by Mathematical Model.” Paper 670897 presented at SAE Automotive Safety Dynamic Modeling Symposium, Anaheim, Calif. October 1967
- Franchini, E. “Prove di collisione su catapulta.” Rivista ATA Torino January 1964
- Stapp, J. P. “Principles of Automotive Crash Protection.” Paper A-1 presented at Conference on Road Safety, Bruxelles September 1968
- Ekberg, G. “Protection of Drivers of Lorries and Agricultural Tractors in Case of Overturning or Impact” Paper A-13 presented at Conference on Road Safety, Bruxelles September 1968
- Franchini, E. “Crash Testing Evolution at FIAT.” Paper 660165 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit January 1966