This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Full Scale Road Simulated Endurance Test
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A facility which duplicates the random road profile in the laboratory fatigue testing of a complete vehicle structure is presented. A road simulated endurance test can be conducted with this facility, which utilizes magnetic tape command to electro-hydraulic shakers.
The complete test program of a vehicle is described. The program includes recording the random road inputs to the vehicle suspension, duplication of these random inputs with the facility to effect a fatigue test evaluation of the vehicle structure, and validation of the test by power spectral density and peak level counting techniques. The facility yields acceptable correlation between laboratory and proving ground fatigue failures, with a significant reduction in test time.
|Technical Paper||Cumulative Damage Approach to Durability Route Design|
|Technical Paper||Vehicle Body Structure Durability Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Practical Approach for Fast Durability Analysis & Iterations|
CitationBarrowcliff, B. and Ehlert, R., "Full Scale Road Simulated Endurance Test," SAE Technical Paper 680148, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680148.
- Kowalewski, J. “On the Relation between Fatigue Lives under Random Loading and under Corresponding Program Loading.” Proceedings ICAF-AGARD Symposium of Full Scale Fatigue Testing of Aircraft Structures New York Pergamon Press 1960
- Schijive, J. “The Endurance under Program Fatigue Testing.” Full Scale Fatigue Testing of Aircraft Structures New York Pergamon Press 1960
- “Extension of Materials Testing Capabilities by Use of Electro-Hydraulic Closed Loop Systems.” MTS Div., Research, Inc. Minneapolis, Minn.
- Betz, E. R. “Studying Structure Dynamics with the Cadillac Road Simulator.” Paper 660101 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Conference, Detroit January 1966
- Conover, J. C. Jaeckel, H. R. Kippola, W. J. “Simulation of Field Loading in Fatigue Testing.” Paper 660102 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Conference, Detroit January 1966
- Butkunas, A. A. “On The Road Measurements Using Power Spectral Density Techniques,” Engineering and Research Staff, Human Factors Research Dept., Automotive Safety Office February 1966