This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stainless Steels in Automotive Applications — Corrosion Studies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To provide information on corrosion questions in the automotive application of stainless, Crucible Steel has performed field-service testing and laboratory studies. The corrosion resistance of standard and modified stainless steels, the effects of processing on corrosion resistance, and the relationship of laboratory test results to performance in actual service have been evaluated. Intensive studies have also been made on rust staining adjacent to stainless trim. They have established the origin of such staining and have led to the development of methods to minimize or prevent it.
CitationRedmerski, L. and Moskowitz, A., "Stainless Steels in Automotive Applications — Corrosion Studies," SAE Technical Paper 680143, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680143.
- Bush, G. F. “Accelerated Corrosion Tests - Are They Reliable?” Metal Progress 88 October 1965 152 159
- Zaremski, D. R. “How Stainless Steel Auto Trim Resists Corrosion,” Metal Progress 90 September 1966 71 75
- Black H. L. Lherbier, L. W. “A Statistical Evaluation of Atmospheric, In-Service, and Accelerated Corrosion of Stainless Steel Automotive Trim Materials,” Seventieth Annual Meeting 1967
- Bush, G. F. Garwood, W. S. Tiffany, G. E. “Accelerated Tests as a Method of Predicting Service Corrosion of Exterior Automotive Trim,” Second International Congress on Metallic Corrosion NACE Houston, Texas 1966 471 480
- Bates J. F. Phelps, E. H. “An Appraisal of Evaluation Tests for Stainless Steel Automotive Trim,” Second International Congress on Metallic Corrosion NACE Houston, Texas 1966 462 470
- Bush, G. F. “Corrosion of Exterior Automotive Trim,” SAE Paper 650A January 1963
- Moskowitz, A. Saltzman, G. A. Pinnow, K. E. Redmerski, L. S. “Influence of Residual and Minor Elements on the Pitting and Atmospheric Corrosion Resistance of Austenitic Stainless Steels.” ASTM 1967 3 23
- Trax R. V. Holzwarth, J. C. “Effect of Chromium Depleted Surface on Corrosion Behavior of Type 430 Stainless Steel.” Corrosion 16 June 1960 105 108