This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lubricant-Closed PCV System Relationships Influence Exhaust Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide concentrations in the exhaust of an engine equipped with a closed positive crank-case ventilation (PCV) system were kept at low levels with operation on high-quality motor oil when compared with similar operation on a low-quality motor oil.
The increase in exhaust emissions with the low-quality motor oil resulted from the effects of deposit accumulation in the PCV valve, carburetor venturi, and carburetor throttle body areas.
CitationEbersole, G. and Holman, G., "Lubricant-Closed PCV System Relationships Influence Exhaust Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 680113, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680113.
- Rausch J. T. “Crankcase Emission Control - A New Feature for 1963 Vehicles.” Paper S356 SAE Atlanta Section Meeting Atlanta September, 1962
- Lenta E. C. “Crankcase Ventilators which Eliminate Atmospheric Escape of Blowby.” Paper 648C SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1963
- Quillian R. D. Jr. Meckel N. T. Moffitt J. V. “Cleaner Crankcases with Blowby Diversion,” Paper 801B SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January, 1964
- Jones R. W. Huron J. W. “Control of Crankcase Emissions through the Use of Negative Crankcase Pressure.” Paper 660547 SAE West Coast Meeting Los Angeles August 1966
- Ghannam F. E. Potter R. I. “Emission Control Devices Demand Improvement in Test Techniques and Motor Oils.” Paper 670498 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago 1967
- Shannon H. F. Cyphers E. B. Pearce A. F. “Laboratory and Field Experience with PCV Systems.” Paper 64-27 National Petroleum Refiners Association Fuels and Lubricants Meeting New York September 1964
- Tracy C. B. Frank W. W. “Fuels, Lubricants, and Positive Crankcase Ventilation Systems.” Paper 874A SAE Summer Meeting Chicago June 1964
- Colyer C. C. Allman L. J. Ladevich R. M. “Balanced Motor Oils for 1968 Engines.” Paper No. 670499 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago May 1967
- Will E. L. Lintern R. T. “Relationship Between Lubricant Composition and Crankcase Ventilation System Deposits.” Paper 660773 SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Houston November 1966
- Asseff P. A. “Multifunctional Gasoline Additives Reduce Engine Deposits.” Paper 660543 SAE West Coast Meeting Los Angeles August 1967
- Minutes of the 1966 Champion Ignition and Engine Performance Conference Technical Services Department, Champion Spark Plug Co. Toledo, Ohio
- Goodwine J. K. Steinke R. E. Hartmann L. M. “Five-Year Service Experience with PCV Systems.” Paper FL-66-54 National Petroleum Refiners Association Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Philadelphia September 1966
- Tandrup E. L. “Evaluating Carburetor Detergent Performance.” Paper 660782 SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Houston November 1966
- “Engine Test Sequences for Evaluating Automotive Lubricants for API Service MS.” ASTM Special Technical Publication No. 315-C Philadelphia, Pa. American Society for Testing and Materials
- Olson D. R. “Sampling and Analysis of Automotive Exhaust Gas by Several Methods.” Technical Symposium on Automotive Exhaust Emission Measurements and Regulatory Requirements Geneva, Switzerland September 1966
- Woechan F. J. “P.C.V. Valves.” Paper 670223 SAE Philadelphia Section Meeting Philadelphia March 1967
- McReynolds L. A. “Motor Oil Quality Affects PCV Performance.” Paper 670498
- Jackson M. W. Wiese W. M. Wentworth J. T. “The Influence of Air-Fuel Ratio, Spark Timing and Combustion Chamber Deposits on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emissions.” SAE Progress in Technology 6 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1964
- Gagliardi J. C. “The Effect of Fuel Antiknock Compounds and Deposits on Exhaust Emissions.” Paper 670128 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1967
- Brubacher M. L. Olson D. R. “Smog Tune-Up for Older Cars.” Paper S403 SAE Southern California Section Meeting April, 1964
- Beckman E. W. Fagley W. S. Sarto J. O. “Exhaust Emission Control by Chrysler, the Cleaner Air Package.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 paper 660107
- Fagley W. S. Sink Mark V. Heinen C. M. “Maintenance and the Automobile Exhaust.” Paper 486L National Automobile Week Detroit March 1962