This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Photostress Study of Spur Gear Teeth
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
An experimental-analytic method of determining the stress distribution in narrow faced spur gear teeth is presented. The successful application of photostress to this contact problem is reported. It utilizes a digital computer routine developed for separating stresses in any general two-dimensional region. Results for two pairs of gears are presented. Comparison is made with values predicted by the modified Lewis formula, the Kelley and Pedersen equation, and by the Belajef solution of the Hertz contact problem for two cylinders.
CitationPottinger, L., Cohen, R., and Stitz, E., "A Photostress Study of Spur Gear Teeth," SAE Technical Paper 670503, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670503.
- Pottinger M. G. “An Approach, Using Photostress, to the Plane Stress Problem of the Narrow Faced Spur Gear Tooth.”
- Frocht M. M. “Photoelasticity.” New York, N. Y. John Wiley and Sons 1949
- Pedersen R. Rice S. L. “Case Crushing of Carburized and Hardened Gears.” SAE Transactions 69 1961 370 380
- Belajef N. M. “Memoirs on the Theory of Structures.” St. Petersburg, Russia 1924
- Kelley B. N. Pedersen R. “Beam Strength of Modern Gear Tooth Design.” SAE Transactions 66 1958 137 157
- Boor F. H. Stitz E. O. “Stress Distribution in Spur Gear Teeth.” Proc. SESA 3 2 1946 28 39