This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control of Nitrogen Oxides by Exhaust Recirculation - A Preliminary Theoretical Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
The control of nitrogen oxides by exhaust recirculation has been evaluated theoretically by digital computer simulation of the engine cycle. Nitric oxide emission, power output, and fuel consumption have been considered. Preliminary results indicate that effectiveness of the recirculation method of nitric oxide control can be accounted for by the attendant shift in the peak temperature chemical equilibrium species distribution. The analysis reveals that nitric oxide reduction is highly dependent on fuel-air ratio, and somewhat less dependent on the temperature of recycled exhaust gases.
CitationNewhall, H., "Control of Nitrogen Oxides by Exhaust Recirculation - A Preliminary Theoretical Study," SAE Technical Paper 670495, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670495.
- Haagen-SmitA.J. “Chemistry and Physiology of Los Angelos Smog.” Ind. Eng. Chem., Vol. 44 (1954), p. 1342.
- LeightonP. A. “Photo Chemistry of Air Pollution.” New York: Academic Press, 1961.
- GilbertL. F. HirschlerD. A.GetoorR. C. “Oxides of Nitrogen in Engine Exhaust Gas.” Paper presented at 132nd Meeting, American Chemical Society, September 1957.
- SpindtR. S. WolfeC. L.StevensD. R. “Nitrogen Oxides, Combustion and Engine Deposits.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 64 (1956), p. 797.
- WimmerD. B.McReynoldsL. A. “Nitrogen Oxides and Engine Combustion.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 70 (1962).
- StarkmanE. S.NewhallH. K. “Characteristics of the Expansion of Reactive Gas Mixtures as Occurring in Internal Combustion Engine Cycles.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 74 (1966), paper 650509.
- AlpersteinM.BradowR. L. “Exhaust Emissions Related to Engine Combustion Reactions.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 75 (1967), paper 660781.
- NewhallH. K.StarkmanE. S. “Direct Spectroscopic Determination of Nitric Oxide in Reciprocating Engine Cylinders.” Paper 670122 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1967.
- CampauR. M.NeermanJ. C. “Continuous Mass Spectrometric Determination of Nitric Oxide in Automobile Exhaust.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 75 (1967), paper 660116.
- KopaR. D.KimuraH. “Exhaust Gas Recirculation as a Method of Nitrogen Oxides Control in an Internal Combustion Engine.” Paper presented at 53rd Annual Meeting, Air Pollution Control Association, Cincinnati, May 1960.
- DaighH. D.DeeterW. F. “Control of Nitrogen Oxides in Automotive Exhaust.” Paper presented at 27th Mid-year Meeting, API Division of Refining, San Francisco, May 1962.
- KopaR. D. HollanderB. R. HollanderF. H.KimuraH. “Combustion Temperature, Pressure and Products at Chemical Equilibrium.” Paper 663A presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1963.
- SuttonR. D.StarkmanE. S. “Oxides of Nitrogen in Engine Exhaust with Ammonia Fuel.” University of California, Department of Mechanical Engineering Report No. TS-66-4 under Contract DA-04-200-AMC-791 (X), June 1966.
- KopaR. J. “Control of Automotive Exhaust Emission by Modifications of the Carburetion System.” Paper 660114 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1966.
- WentworthJ. T.DanielW. A. “Flame Photographs of Light Load Combustion Point the Way to Reduction of Hydrocarbons in Exhaust Gases.” J. APCA 5, Vol. 27 (August 1955) pp. 91-102.
- ZeldovichJ., Acta Physico Chim. URSS, 21, 577 (1946).
- FennimoreC. P.JonesG. W., “Nitric Oxide Decomposition at 2200 to 2400*K.” Jrl. of Physical Chemistry, 61 (1957).
- NewhallH. K., to be published.
- KaufmanF.KelsoJ. R. “Thermal Decomposition of Nitric Oxide.” Jrl. of Chemical Physics 23, (1955).
- KopaR. D. “Control of Auto Exhaust Emission by Modifications of Carburetion System.” Presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1966, paper 660114.