This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Road Contact Forces of Truck Tires as Measured in the Laboratory
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
A wide range of laboratory measurements on truck tires is being carried out on a continuous basis. This paper discusses some of these related to ground contact forces and force and moment characteristics of rolling tires. New laboratory equipment to measure tires on a flat surface and on a 120 in. diameter drum is described as well as several test procedures carried out on these machines. Typical test results are shown. Potential applicability to vehicle performance is suggested. Lateral force data for a range of truck tire sizes are included for future reference.
|Technical Paper||Tire-Road Friction Measuring System — A Second Generation|
|Technical Paper||Uniformity of Truck Tire/Wheel Assemblies on Original Equipment|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Tonne Kilometer Per Hour Application|
CitationGinn, J. and Marlowe, R., "Road Contact Forces of Truck Tires as Measured in the Laboratory," SAE Technical Paper 670493, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670493.
- "Research in Automobile Stability and Control and in Tyre Performance."Inst, of Mech. Eng., London, 1957.
- NordeenD. L. and Cortese,A. D."Force and Moment Characteristics of Rolling Tires."SAE Transactions, Vol. 72 (1964), paper 713A.
- Lippmann, S. A. "New Equipment for Exploring the Dynamic Behavior of Tires."Paper 794A presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1964.
- Mair, A. C. "Road Behavior of a Modern Truck."Paper 121 presented at SAE Summer Meeting, Atlantic City, 1957.
- Ginn, J. L. Miller, R. F. Marlowe,R. L. and Heimovics, J. F. "The B. F. Goodrich Tire Dynamics Machine."Paper 490B presented at SAE National Automobile Week, Detroit, March 1962.
- Nordeen, D. L. "Analysis of Tire Lateral Force and Interpretation of Experimental Tire Data."Paper 670173 presented at SAE Automotive Congress, Detroit, January 1967.
- Hofelt, C. Tarpinian,H. D. and Draves, Jr C. Z.. "Measuring Tire Uniformity."Paper 650522 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Chicago, May 1965.