This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Pressure-Time History in the Exhaust System of a High-Speed Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
Measurement of pressure-time histories in the exhaust system of a naturally aspirated internal combustion engine poses some difficult instrumentation problems. This paper describes an experimental and theoretical approach in tackling this research. The exhaust system is simulated by pulses of compressed air at a frequency of up to 4000 pulses/minute, that is, a 1 cyl 4 stroke cycle engine running at 8000 rpm. The pressure-time histories are calculated by digital computer in terms of the cylinder, exhaust valve, and pipe friction characteristics and compared with the experimental pressure-transducer records at various positions in the exhaust system.
CitationBlair, G. and Goulburn, J., "The Pressure-Time History in the Exhaust System of a High-Speed Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engine," SAE Technical Paper 670477, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670477.
- Wright E. H. Gill K. F. “Theoretical Analysis of the Unsteady Gas Flow in the Exhaust System of an Engine.” J. Mech. Eng. Sci. 8 1 1966
- List H. Reyl G. “Der Ladungswechsel der Ver-brennumgskraft Mashine.” Vienna Springer Verlag 1949
- Wallace F. J. Mitchell R. W. S. “Wave Action following Sudden Release of Compressed Air through an Engine Port System,” Proc. IME IB 1953
- De Haller P. “The Application of a Graphical Method to some Dynamic Problems in Gases,” Sulzer Tech. Rev. No. 1 1945
- Jenny E. “Berechnungen and Modellvermche neber Druckwallen Grosser Amplitude in Auspuffeiturgen,” Doctoral Thesis, E. T. H. Zurich 1949
- Benson R. S. Garg R. D. Woollatt D. “A Numerical Solution of Unsteady Flow Problems,” Int. J. Mech. Eng. Sci. 6 1964 117 144
- Nakada T. “On the Reflection Conditions of Pressure Wave in some Exhaust Pipe Systems Measured by the Shock-Tube Method,” JSME 8 30 1965
- Chen Y. N. “Experimental Investigation of Pressure Waves in a Manifold,” Sulzer Research Number 1963
- Davies P. O. A. L. Dwyer M. J. “A Simple Theory for Pressure Pulses in Exhaust Systems,” Proc. IME 179
- Nagao F. Shinamoto Y. Nagano H. Ueno Y. “Influence of the Connecting Passage of a Low Pressure Indicator on Recording,” JSME 6 21 1963
- Rudinger G. “Wave Diagrams for Non-Steady Flow in Ducts.” Princeton, N. J.: D. Van Nostrand Co. 1955
- Courant R. Freidrichs K. Lewy H. Math. Ann 100 32 1928
- Blair G. P. “A Direct Evaluation of the Exhaust Lead of a Two-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engine.” 650728 SAE Combined Power Plant and Transportation Meeting Cleveland, Ohio October 18th-21st 1965
- Wallace F. J. Blair G. P. “The Pulsating Flow Performance of Inward-Radial Flow Turbines,” ASME Gas Turbine Conference February 28th-March 4th, 1965