This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Collision Performance, LM Safety Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
Engineering evaluations of the collision performance for the Liberty Mutual Safety Car and the 1966 Chevrolet sedan were made, consisting of two 30 mph rear-end and two 40 mph intersection collision experiments. Methodology provided comparative analysis of functional characteristics for five types of seats, each studied for different exposure conditions. Five conditions of restraint were included for four sizes of occupants; the anthropometric dummies, their restraints, seats, and crashing cars all carried appropriate transducers. Seven high G-tolerant, high-speed cameras, carried by the crashing cars provided close-up continuous monitoring of these quarter-second collision sequences, supported by many more tower and ground level special photographic units arranged about the collision scene. Data from photographic, electronic and related instrumentation are presented using photographic and graphical techniques designed to facilitate comprehension.
|Technical Paper||Safer Seat Designs|
|Technical Paper||A Survey of Automotive Occupant Restraint Systems: Where We’ve Been, Where We Are and Our Current Problems|
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Requirements of Automobile Seatbacks|
CitationSevery, D., Brink, H., and Baird, J., "Collision Performance, LM Safety Car," SAE Technical Paper 670458, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670458.
- Severy D. M. Mathewson J. H. Siegel A. W. “Automobile Head-On Collisions, Series II.” SAE Transactions 67 1959 238 262
- Severy D. M. Mathewson J. H. Siegel A. W. “Automobile Side-Impact Collisions, Series II.” SAE SP-232 1962
- Severy D. M. Brink H. M. Baird J. D. “School Bus Passenger Protection.” SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1967 paper 670040
- Crandell F. J. Gordon A. Burkett F. E. Sparrell C. F. “Packaging the Passenger.” Liberty Mutual Insurance Co. 1965
- Babbs F. W. Hilton B. C. “The Packaging of Car Occupants - A British Approach to Seat Design.” Proceedings, Seventh Stapp Car Crash Conference Springfield, Ill. Charles C Thomas 1965 456 464
- Hilton B. C. “The Development of Safety Seating for Injury Prevention.” Proceedings, 10th Stapp Car Crash Conference New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1966 124 131