This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Fuel Properties and Exhaust Gas - Distant Relations?
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper examines the question of whether or not significant improvements in the condition of a diesel engine's exhaust can be practically achieved by altering the quality of the fuel. Engine test results from a variety of investigations are presented, and they are examined on a fuel quality/exhaust quality basis. Black smoke, white smoke, odor, oxides of nitrogen, and carbon monoxide are the exhaust constituents discussed in conjunction with fuel volatility, viscosity, and ignition quality. It is suggested that a change in base fuel quality is not, at present, a practical means of insuring an improvement in exhaust condition.
CitationMcConnell, G. and Howells, H., "Diesel Fuel Properties and Exhaust Gas - Distant Relations?," SAE Technical Paper 670091, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670091.
- Stoll H. Bauer H. “Exhaust Smoke Determination of Diesel Engines.” MTZ 18 5 May 1957 127
- Durant J. B. Eltinge L. “Fuels, Engine Conditions and Diesel Smoke.” Paper 3R presented at SAE Annual Meeting Detroit January 1959
- Irish G. E. Mattson R. W. “Cleaner Injection and Less Smoke with Hydrogen Treated Diesel Fuel.” SAE Paper 890 B presented at West Coast Meeting San Francisco 1964
- Reckner L. R. Scott W. E. Biller W. F. “The Composition and Odor of Diesel Exhaust.” API Division of Refining, 30th Mid-Year Meeting 1965
- Rounds F. G. Pearsall H. W. “Diesel Exhaust Odor -- Its Evaluation and Relation to Exhaust Gas Composition.” SAE Trans. 65 1957 608
- Strout D. K. Hamilton R. “Problems with Diesel Operation Encountered by Members of Regular Common Carrier Conference.” Paper presented at API Division of Refining, 30th Mid-Year Meeting 1965
- Hultkrans H. R. “Role of Fuel Properties in Diesel Fleet Economy.” Paper 650429 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago 1965