This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Putting Automatic Transmission Clutch Friction Researchers on Speaking Terms
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 1, 1967 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
With the object of improving the technique of testing and specifying friction materials, a new type of friction material test fixture has been developed by the SAE Friction Subcommittee. This is a completely self-contained machine especially designed for cyclic testing and quality control work. This does not replace, but rather supplements, the steady state type friction test fixture (SAE No. 1) previously developed by the committee.
This fixture, known as the SAE No. 2 test fixture, is designed to test clutch packs in an environment which is as close as possible to that of the friction elements in an automatic transmission. Both friction material manufacturers and users are employing this machine for quality control, component selection, and evaluation of friction materials and lubricants.
CitationSmith, G., Ross, W., Silbert, P., and Herndon, W., "Putting Automatic Transmission Clutch Friction Researchers on Speaking Terms," SAE Technical Paper 670051, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670051.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Froslie L. E., Milek T., and Smith R. W., “Automatic Transmission Friction Elements.” SAE Meeting, Jan. 9–13, 1961.
- Davison E. D., “The Effect of Lubricant on Automatic Transmission Clutch Plate Durability.” American Society for Testing Materials Meeting, Oct. 1, 1962.
- Rodgers J. J. and Haviland M. L., “Friction of Transmission Clutch Materials as Affected by Fluids, Additives, and Oxidation.” SAE Meeting, June 5–10, 1960.
- Hewitt D. C. and Reighard N. W., “Automatic Transmission Fluid.” SAE Meeting, June 11–15, 1962.
- Davison E. D., “A New Bench Test for Evaluating Clutch Plate Lubrication.” SAE Meeting, Jan. 14–18. 1963.
- Sprague S. R. and Cunningham R. G., “Control of the Factional Characteristics of Lubricants with Chemical Additives.” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Vol. 51, (1959), 1047.
- Havilant M. L. and Rodgers J. J., “Friction Characteristics of Automatic Transmission Fluids as Related to Transmission Operation.” Lubrication Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 3, March 1961.
- Newcomb T. P., “Temperatures Reached in Friction Clutch Transmissions.” J. Mech. Eng. Science, Vol. 2, Nov. 4, 1960.
- Coordinating Research Council, Inc., “Development of Research Technique for Determining Friction Characteristics of Automatic Transmission Fluids.” CRC Report #377, July 1964.
- Smith G. R., Jandasek V. J., Sprague S. R., Singer R. B., “A New Concept of Measuring Frictional Characteristics.” SAE Paper No. 363A, presented at 1961 SAE Summer Meeting, St. Louis, Mo., June 5, 1961.
- Haviland M. L., Rodgers J. J., Davison E. D., “Surface Temperatures and Friction in Lubricated Clutches.” SAE Paper No. 642B, presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, Jan. 14, 1963.
- Johnson L. G., “The Median Rank of Sample Values in Their Population with an Application to Certain Fatigue Studies.” Journal of Industrial Mathematics, Vol. 2, 1951.