This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Heart Motion Due to Blunt Trauma to the Thorax
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1966 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The displacement of the heart due to blunt trauma to the thorax has been shown to be a factor in the intimal and medial lesions of the aorta and great vessels. This displacement has been verified by means of high-speed flash x-rays taken during impact to the thorax of living animals. These x-ray findings corroborate the previous work by the authors and yield further insight into the mechanism of formation of the intimai and medial tears of the aorta and great vessels. The paper will show the results of this research and will substantiate the mechanism by means of the roentgenograms taken during the impacts.
CitationRoberts, V., Jackson, F., and Berkas, E., "Heart Motion Due to Blunt Trauma to the Thorax," SAE Technical Paper 660800, 1966, https://doi.org/10.4271/660800.
- Cammack K. Rapport R. L. Paul J. Baird W. C. “Deceleration Injuries of the Thoracic Aorta” A.M.A. Archives of Surgery 79 244 1959
- Hass G. M. “Types of Internal Injuries of Personnel Involved in Aircraft Accidents” Aviation Med. 15 77 1944
- Zehnder M. A. “Delayed Post-Traumatic Rupture of the Aorta” Angiology 7 252 1956
- Roberts V. L. Moffat R. C. Berkas E. M. “Blunt Trauma to the Thorax-Mechanism of Vascular Injuries” Proc. 9th Stapp Conf. 3 1966
- Moffat R. C. Roberts V. L. Berkas E. M. “Blunt Trauma to the Thorax-Development of Pseudo Aneurysms in the Dog” Accepted for publication by the J. of Trauma
- Moffat R. C. Knechtges T. C. Roberts V. L. Berkas E. M. “Pathogenesis of Traumatic Thoracic Aneurysms” Submitted to Annl. of Thorc. Surg.
- Gikas P. W. Huelke D. F. “Pathogenesis of Fatal Injuries to Rear Seat Occupants of Automobiles” Proc. 9th Stapp Conf. 355 1966