This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Use of a Weighted-Impulse Criterion for Estimating Injury Hazard
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1966 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the usage of an exponential weighting factor for appraising deceleration or force impulses registered on dummies or impacting hammers in safety testing. The proposed impulse-integration procedure, it is shown, takes into account in a more rational way, and in better conformity with published injury tolerance data, the relative importance of time and intensity of the pulse than do the “peak g” or impulse-area criteria. Use of the new Severity Index for assessment of head impact pulses is illustrated. It is shown to be of special value in comparing the relative severity of pulses which differ markedly in shape (because of structural differences in the component being struck) and it is pointed out that without a weighting factor of this nature, laboratory impact tests can yield incorrect ranking of the relative safety merit of alternative designs. Automated methods for quick calculation of the Severity Index are possible.
CitationGadd, C., "Use of a Weighted-Impulse Criterion for Estimating Injury Hazard," SAE Technical Paper 660793, 1966, https://doi.org/10.4271/660793.
- von Gierke H. E. “Biomechanics of Impact Injury.” 1962
- Lissner, H. R. et al “Experimental Studies on the Relation between Acceleration and Intracranial Pressure Changes in Man.” “Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics.” 329 338 September 1960
- Lissner H. R. Gurdjian E. S. “Experimental Cerebral Concussion.” ASME Annual Meeting Paper No. 60-WA-273 November 27 1960
- Eiband A. “Human Tolerance to Rapidly Applied Acceleration: A Summary of the Literature.” NASA Memorandum 5-19-59E June 1959
- “Human Tolerance to Impact Conditions as Related to Motor Vehicle Design.” SAE Handbook Supplement J 885 1964
- Swearingen J. J. “Tolerances of the Human Face to Crash Impact.” Office of Aviation Medicine, F.A.A. Civil Aeromedical Research Institute Oklahoma City, Okla. July 1965
- Hodgson V. R. Lange W. A. Talwalker “Injury to the Facial Bones.” Proceedings of Ninth Stapp Car Crash Conference, University of Minnesota Publication 1966
- Patrick L. M. Kroell C. K. Mertz H. J. “Forces on the Human Body in Simulated Crashes.” Proceedings of Ninth Stapp Car Crash Conference, University of Minnesota Publication 1966
- Gadd C. W. “Criteria for Injury Potential.” Proceedings of Impact Acceleration Stress Symposium, National Academy of Sciences, National Research Council, Publication No. 977 1962