This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Drive Systems Development for Off-Highway Transport
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1966 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
High performance power trains used in current off-highway rubber tire haulage equipment are important to the increased work capability of these machines. Successive innovations and refinements accomplished during the past 50 years to reach the present state of development are reviewed. Advantages obtained during this evolution are noted, and some evaluation is made of contemporary drive means. From this background of achievement, attention is focused on opportunities for further advancements in power trains for such wheeled transport vehicles.
CitationHyler, J., "Drive Systems Development for Off-Highway Transport," SAE Technical Paper 660580, 1966, https://doi.org/10.4271/660580.
- Stein Ralph, “The Treasury of the Automobile.” New York, N. Y.: Odessey Press Inc., 1961.
- Kidner R. W., “A Short History of Mechanical Traction and Travel.” Published by Floyd Clymer; Los Angeles, Calif., 1949.
- Andrews Ralph W., “This Was Logging.” Seattle, Wash.: Superior Publishing Co., 1954.
- “50 Years on Tracks.” Caterpillar Tractor Co., 1954. Peoria, Ill.
- Clymer Floyd, “Album of Historical Steam Traction Engines.” Los Angeles, Calif., 1949.
- Gray R. B., U. S. Dept. of Agriculture, “Development of the Agricultural Tractor in the United States. Part II.” U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D. C., 1954.
- United States Army Ordnance, “Handbook of the Two-Ton Truck Chassis - Nash Model 4017A and 4017L.” 1918.
- Chase Herbert, “Front Wheel Drives, Are They Coming or Going?” SAE Semi-Annual Meeting paper; 1928.
- Brownyer N. R. and Boughner L. G., “Automotive Differentials.” SAE paper S242 presented at Chicago Section Meeting, Chicago, March 8, 1960.
- Lewis R. P. and O'Brien L. J., “Limited Slip Differentials.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 67, (1959), 203.
- Nichols, Herbert L.Jr., “Moving the Earth.” Greenwich, Conn.: North Castle Books, 1955.
- Moreno E. F. and Domes E. A., “A Unique Concept in Off-Highway Trucks.” SAE paper S420 presented at Earthmoving Industry Conference, Central Illinois Section, Peoria, Ill., April 1965.
- Schuppert A. N., “Design and Application of Tri-Drive Trucks.” SAE paper 650725 presented at Combined Powerplant and Transportation Meeting, Cleveland, Ohio, October 1965.
- Backus T., “Transmissions and Engine-to-Road Gear Ratios.” SAE paper presented at National West Coast Meeting, Portland, Ore., August 1949.
- Backus T. and Perkins C. M., “Efficiency and Simplicity in Off-Highway Transmissions.” SAE paper presented at SAE National West Coast Meeting, Seattle, Wash., August 1957.
- Schaefer R. M., “Going to Work with Hydraulic Transmissions.” SAE paper presented at Earthmoving Industry Conference, Central Illinois Section, Peoria, Ill., April 1950.
- Schaefer R. M. and Winter J. A., “Hydraulic Torque Convertor - Its Effect on the Power Train.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 61, 1953.
- McLean H. J. and Vitt H., “Electric Drive for Off-Highway Vehicles.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 68, 1960.
- Slabiak Walter, “An AC Individual Wheel Drive System for Land Vehicles.” SAE paper 660134 presented at Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1966.
- Lawson L. J., Borland, Robert P. and Pucky Clarence G., “Optional Control System Performance for an AC Electric Vehicular Drive.” SAE paper 660135 presented at Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1966.
- Hyler J. H., “Tournamatic Drives for Tractors.” SAE paper presented at Earthmoving Industry Conference, Central Illinois Section, Peoria, Ill., April 1956.
- Worn C. L. G. and Walker A. C., “A Gearbox Replacement Hydrostatic Drive.” SAE paper 650689 presented at Farm, Construction and Industrial Machinery Meeting, Milwaukee, Wis., September 1965.
- Hopkins R. E., “AC Electric Drive for Off-Highway Electric Vehicles.” SAE paper S431 presented at Earthmoving Industry Conference, Central Illinois Section, Peoria, Ill., April 1965.
- Willis, R. J. Jr., “New Equations and Charts Pick Off Lightest Weight Gears.” Product Engineering Magazine, (Jan. 21, 1963), 693.
- Dareing D. W. and Radzimovsky E. I., “Misaligned Roller Bearings.” Machine Design Magazine, (Feb. 13,1964) 175.
- Harris T. A., “The Effect of Misalignment on the Life of Cylindrical Roller Bearings.” American Society of Mechanical Engineers paper 65-LUBS-15 presented at Lubrication Symposium, New York, June 1965.