This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Test Techniques
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1966 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Contained in this paper are detailed explanations and criticisms of aerodynamic tests conducted for the automotive industry. Using 1/10, 3/8, and full scale vehicles, tests were conducted for aerodynamic drag and lift, stability and control, pressure distribution, and flow visualization. Tests were conducted in wind tunnels and on the road. The advantages and disadvantages of each method are discussed and explained at length.
|Technical Paper||Truck Splash and Spray-Some Recent Results|
|Technical Paper||A Full Scale Class 8 Conventional Tractor-Trailer in the 9×9m Wind Tunnel|
|Technical Paper||The Aerodynamic Performance of Automotive Underbody Diffusers|
CitationKessler, J. and Wallis, S., "Aerodynamic Test Techniques," SAE Technical Paper 660464, 1966, https://doi.org/10.4271/660464.
- Schmid C., “Air Resistance of Automobiles.” Technical University Stuttgart, VDI, September 1938.
- Nordeen D. L., “Vehicle Directional Control Behavior Described in More Precise Terms.” SAE Journal, Vol. LXXII, pt. 1, (Feb. 1964), 26-33
- Sekscienski W. S., “Information for Users of the Glenn L. Martin Institute of Technology Low Speed Wind Tunnel at the University of Maryland,” October, 1955.
- Pope Alan “Wind-Tunnel Testing.” New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Second Edition.
- Hensel R. W., “Rectangular Wind Tunnel Blocking Corrections Using the Velocity-Ratio Method.” NACA TN 2372.
- Stanbrook A., “Surface Oil Flow Technique as Used in High Speed Wind Tunnels in the United Kingdom;” RAE Technical Note Aero 2712, August, 1960.
- Kelly, Kyropoulos, and Tanner, “Automobile Aerodynamics,” Paper presented at SAE Meeting for National Automobile Week, Detroit, March, 1960.
- Prepared by NASA, U. S. Air Force, and U. S. Weather Bureau, “U. S. Standard Atmosphere,” U. S. Printing Office, Washington, D. C. (1962).
- Norton & Bacon, “The Aerodynamic Properties of Thick Aerofoils-II,” NACA TR-152.
- White Joseph F., “New Techniques for Full Scale Testing,” Paper presented at SAE National Automobile Week, Detroit, March, 1960
- McConnel William A., “Climatic Testing Indoors--Ford's Hurricane Road,” Paper presented at SAE Annual Meeting, Detroit, 1959.
- Richardson Edward L., “Isolation and Cure of Wind Noises,” SAE Special Publication 195, (Feb. 1961), 14-31.