This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ammonia as a Spark Ignition Engine Fuel: Theory and Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1966 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Anhydrous ammonia has been demonstrated to operate successfully as a fuel for spark ignition engines. Principal requirements are that it be introduced in the vapor phase and partly decomposed to hydrogen and nitrogen.
Spark timing for maximum performance must be advanced slightly for ammonia but sensitivity to spark timing is little greater than with hydrocarbons. Increasing the cylinder wall temperature aids in effecting successful and reliable operation.
The maximum theoretically possible indicated output using ammonia vapor is about 77% of that with hydrocarbon. Specific fuel consumption increase twofold at maximum power and 2-1/2 fold at maximum economy when using ammonia as a replacement for hydrocarbon.
|Technical Paper||Ammonia Fuel - Engine Compatibility and Combustion|
|Technical Paper||Combustion of Anhydrous Ammonia in Diesel Engines|
CitationStarkman, E., Newhall, H., Sutton, R., Maguire, T. et al., "Ammonia as a Spark Ignition Engine Fuel: Theory and Application," SAE Technical Paper 660155, 1966, https://doi.org/10.4271/660155.
- “Energy Depot Concept,” SAE Publication SP-263. Presented at SAE International Congress Detroit January 1965
- Koch, E. “Ammonia -- A Fuel for Motor Buses.” J. Inst. Pet. 31 1945 213
- Vickland, C. W. Strange, F. M. Bell, R. A. Starkman, E. S. “A Consideration of the High Temperature Thermodynamics of I. C. Engine.” SAE Transactions 70 1962 785
- Newhall H. K. Starkman, E. S. “Thermodynamic Properties of Octane and Air for Engine Performance Calculations.” SAE Technical Progress Series 7 1964
- Starkman, E. S. Newhall, H. K. Sutton, R. D. “Comparative Performance of Alcohol and Hydrocarbon Fuels.” SAE Publication SP-254 1964
- Starkman, E. S. “Nitroparaffins as Potential Engine Fuels,” Ind. Eng. Chem. 51 December 1959 1477
- Newhall, H. K. “Chemical Equilibrium Properties of Ammonia-Air Combustion Products.” 1964
- “JANAF Interim Thermochemical Data Tables.” December 1960
- Starkman E. S. Newhall, H. K. “Characteristics of the Expansion of Reactive Gas Mixtures as Occurring in Internal Combustion Engines.” Paper 650509 , presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago May 1965
- “ASTM Manual for Rating Aviation Fuels by Supercharge and Aviation Methods.” American Society for Testing Materials Philadelphia 1958
- Newhall, H. K. “Calculation of Engine Performance Using Ammonia Fuel, I. Otto Cycle.” 1965
- Gray, J. T. Jr. Dimitroff, Edward Meckel, N. T. Quillian, R. D. Jr. “Ammonia Fuel -- Engine Compatibility and Combustion.” Paper 660156 , SAE Transactions 75 1967 785 807