This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Future Development of Free Piston Gasifier Turbine Combinations for Vehicle Traction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1966 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present status and future developments of automotive outward compressing free piston gasifiers are discussed, with particular reference to gas generators in relation to turbocharged and compound engines, the present status of the machine produced by the authors' company, and the operating characteristics of a proposed 150 shaft horsepower gasifier-turbine-gearbox combination for vehicle traction.
It is shown that under certain specified conditions, the gas generator cycle operates with superior efficiency, and with stated improvements in component efficiencies, the present gasifier will achieve a gas thermal efficiency of the order of 45%. Further, a vehicle power unit having an estimated specific weight of 8 lb/shp and volume of 9.75 shp/cu ft for the complete unit, with an overall torque ratio of 10:1, can be realized.
CitationWallace, F., Wright, E., and Campbell, J., "Future Development of Free Piston Gasifier Turbine Combinations for Vehicle Traction," SAE Technical Paper 660132, 1966, https://doi.org/10.4271/660132.
- Ehrat A. J. “Free Piston Gas Turbine: Prime Movers.” Mech. Eng 77 March 1955
- Moroux A. F. “The Free Piston Engine Possibilities.” ASME paper No. 58-OGP-7 presented June 1958
- Spier H. G. “Supercharging the Free Piston Cycle.” SAE Transactions 67 1959 281
- London A.L. “The Free Piston and Turbine Compound Engine - A Cycle Analysis.” ASME Trans 77 February 1955 197 210
- London A. L. Oppenheim A. K. “Free Piston Engine Development - Present Status and Design Aspects.” ASME Trans 74 1952 1349 1361
- Witzky J. E. Meriwether R. F. Lux F. B. “Piston-Turbine - Compound Engine - A Design and Performance Analysis.” SAE paper 650632 presented at SAE West Coast Meeting, Vancouver, B.C. August 1965
- Wallace F. J. “Performance of Two Stroke Compression Ignition Engines in Combination with Compressors and Turbines.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng” 177 1963 43
- Chatterton E. “The Diesel Engine in Association with the Gas Turbine.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng 174 1960 409
- Schweitzer P. H. “Present and Future of the Internal Combustion Engine.” Paper presented before JSME, October 1961
- Egli A. “The Leakage of Steam Through Labyrinth Seals.” ASME paper No. FSP-57-S
- Wright E. J. Wallace F. J. “Comparative Assessment of Control Characteristics of Outward and Inward Compressing Free Piston Gas Generators.” Submitted to SAE
- Wallace F. J. “Theoretical Assessment of the Performance Characteristics of Inward Radial Flow Turbines.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng 172 1958 931