This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Field and Laboratory Evaluations of Automatic Transmission Fluids
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1966 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An outline of the field testing of automatic transmission fluids in two New York City taxicab fleets over a three-year period is presented. The field testing of six fluids in each fleet was found to be a suitable method for evaluating their relative quality. Some fluids performed satisfactorily for 11,000 miles while others were in service for over 90,000 miles. With extended fluid drain intervals, the major cause of transmission malfunction was fluid oxidation. No significant relationship was found between the field test results and motor driven transmission and beaker bench oxidation tests. A fairly good correlation was established with engine driven cyclic transmission tests. The theory and modes of transmission malfunction are also discussed.
CitationBorden, D., Freedgood, A., and Rothert, K., "Field and Laboratory Evaluations of Automatic Transmission Fluids," SAE Technical Paper 660099, 1966, https://doi.org/10.4271/660099.
- Griffen, T. J. “Temperature Effect on Transmission Operation.” Paper presented at SAE Summer Meeting June 1962
- Hewitt D. C. Reigaard, N. W. “Automatic Transmission Fluid.” Paper presented at SAE Summer Meeting June 1962
- Bozzelli, A.J. “Designing an Automatic Transmission Fluid.” Paper presented at SAE Annual Meeting January 1959
- Kite, W. H. Jr Koenig, E. F. “Evaluating Automatic Transmission Fluids.” Paper presented at SAE Annual Meeting January 1959
- Hunstad N. A. Anderson, R. L. “GM Car Owners Need AQ-ATF,” Compounders Magazine Oct 1964
- Haviland, M. L. Rodgers, J. J. Davison, E. D. “Surface Temperatures and Friction in Lubricated Clutches.” Paper presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition January 1963
- Borden, D. Roux, N. R. Stendahl, C. M. “Technical Considerations of Automatic Transmission Fluids.” Paper presented at the National Construction and Industrial Machinery Meeting September 1962
- Deen H. E. Stendahl, C. M. “Oxidation Stability, Shear Stability and Rubber Swell Properties of Automatic Transmission Fluids,” SAE Transactions 68 1960