This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Fatigue of Turbine Alloys with Special Reference to PWA 663 Nickel-Base Alloy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1966 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Thermal fatigue and bow evaluation of an alloy for aircraft gas turbine applications are considerably enhanced by the use of miniature airfoil specimens, which provide a rapid means of sorting alloy compositions. This paper discusses the merits of the test and specifically in relation to the newly developed PWA 663 nickel base alloy. The procedure in testing this alloy, which proves to be superior to cobalt base alloys, is fully described and the results are given together with those of a comparative strain cycling test.
|Technical Paper||Rene 125, Development and Application|
|Technical Paper||Fracture Mechanics Characteristics of Laser-Welded Aluminum-Lithium Sheet Joints|
|Technical Paper||CHRYSLER’S GAS TURBINE CAR - Materials Requirements|
CitationDonachie, M., Brody, R., and Bradley, E., "Thermal Fatigue of Turbine Alloys with Special Reference to PWA 663 Nickel-Base Alloy," SAE Technical Paper 660056, 1966, https://doi.org/10.4271/660056.
- ColesA., and SkinnerD., “Assessment of Thermal-Fatigue Resistance of High Temperature Alloys,” J. Royal Aeron. Soc., Vol. 69 (1965) , 53.
- VogelW., SpaethC., WaringD., MartensW., DonachieM., “Thermal Fatigue Analysis Applied to Turbine Airfoils.” ASME Paper 65-GTP-17 (1965).
- “A Technical Report on a New Cast Nickel-Base Superalloy, PWA 663 (B-1900),” Pratt and Whitney Aircraft, June, 1965.
- GlennyE., “Thermal Fatigue,” Met. Reviews, Vol. 6 (1961) , 387.
- CoffinL., “Low Cycle Fatigue, A Review,” App. Matls. Res., Vol. 1 (1962) , 129.
- TairaS., Thermal Fatigue and Its Relation to Creep Rupture and Mechanical Fatigue, “High Temperature Structures and Materials. ” New York: The Macmillan Co. 1964, p. 187.
- PiearcyB. J., and VerSnyderF. L., “The Control of Grain Shape and Its Effect on the Properties of Cast Components for High Temperature and High Stress Application.” Paper to be presented at SAE Meeting, Detroit, January, 1966.
- RadavichJ., DonachieM., and DanesiW., paper to be submitted to Trans., AIME.
- BetteridgeW., “The Nimonic Alloys,” Arnold. London, 1959, p. 229.
- SwindemanR., and DouglasD., “The Failure of Structural Metals Subjected to Strain Cycling Conditions,” Trans., ASME, Vol. 81D (1959) , 203.
- BaronH., “Thermal Stress.” London: Pitman Ltd., 1964, p.182.