This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Some Parameters Affecting the Performance of Pneumatic Tires on Wet Pavement
Published October 20, 1965 by University of Minnesota in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses some of the important details of tire tread design, and presents some test results showing how tread design parameters can delay the build-up of hydrodynamic pressure in the tire footprint area and improve braking and cornering traction on wet or flooded pavement surfaces. It is also shown how even minor differences in pavement texture can be of extreme importance in providing good traction under wet conditions, and a proposed technique for measuring surface roughness and predicting the wet friction level of a given pavement texture is discussed. The paper concludes with a brief summary of current research on tire hydroplaning.
|Technical Paper||Factors Affecting Tire Traction|
|Technical Paper||Belt and Tire Tractive Performance|
|Technical Paper||Parametric Analyses of Pneumatic Tires Update-Samples of Engineering Problems and Solutions in Off-Road Locomotion|
CitationLELAND, T., "Some Parameters Affecting the Performance of Pneumatic Tires on Wet Pavement," SAE Technical Paper 650972, 1965, https://doi.org/10.4271/650972.
- Joyner, Upshur T. Home, Walter B. Leland, Trafford J. W. Investigations on the Ground Performance of Aircraft Relating to Wet Runway Braking and Slush Drag Presented to AGARD Flight Mechanics Panel Paris, France Jan. 14-18 1963
- Joyner, Upshur T. Home, Walter. Considerations on a Large Hydraulic Jet Catapult NACA TN 3203 1954
- Home, Walter B. Dreher, Robert C. Phenomena of Pneumatic Tire Hydroplaning NASA TN D-2056 1963
- Home, Walter B. Leland, Trafford J. W. Influence of Tire Tread Pattern and Runway Surface Condition on Braking Friction and Rolling Resistance of a Modern Aircraft Tire NASA TN D-1376 1962
- Home, Walter B. Joyner, Upshur T. Traction of Pneumatic Tires on Wet Runways Conference on Aircraft Operating Problems, NASA SP-83 1965 9 17
- Leland, Trafford J. W. Taylor, Glenn R. An Investigation of the Influence of Aircraft Tire-Tread Wear on Wet-Runway Braking NASA TN D-2770 April 1965
- Home, Walter B. Upshur T. Joyner, Pneumatic Tire Hydroplaning and Some Effects on Vehicle Performance Presented to SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, Michigan Jan. 11-15 1965