This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CRC Looks at Cars, Fuels, and Vapor Lock
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1965 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In 1962 and 1964 the Coordinating Research Council (CRC) evaluated the vapor locking characteristics of about 40 selected new model cars during centralized programs at Yuma, Arizona. Volatility tolerances were determined during acceleration following a hot soak at approximately 100 F ambient using two reference fuel series with diverse front-end volatilities. Fifty per cent of the 1962 model cars tested had a limiting vapor pressure equal to or less than 8.4 lb with the high volatility fuels and 9.7 lb with the low volatility fuels. Comparable values in the 1964 program were 8.9 lb for the high and 10.4 lb for the low volatility fuels. Analytical results obtained on vehicle tank samples for the first time during 1964 showed that limiting temperature at a given vapor-to-liquid ratio also was a useful parameter in defining car volatility tolerances.
CitationBigley, H., Domke, C., and Niles, H., "CRC Looks at Cars, Fuels, and Vapor Lock," SAE Technical Paper 650860, 1965, https://doi.org/10.4271/650860.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- “1957 CRC Vapor Lock Tests,”
- “1958 CRC Vapor Lock Tests,”
- “1960 CRC Vapor Lock Tests,”
- Percy A. W. Domke C. J. Toulmin H. A. Niles H. T. “CRC Vapor Lock Technique - Its Development and Application.” SAE Trans. 1963 122
- “1962 CRC Vapor Lock Tests,”
- CRC Handbook 1946 Edition Coordinating Research Council, Inc. January 1946 153 155
- 1964 783 795
- January 1965 1030 1035
- Roensch Courtney “Gasoline Engines Take a New Look at Fuels,” presented at Midyear Meeting of the API Division of Refining May 11 1964
- Robinson Wagner “Part Throttle Vapor Lock Test Development,” SAE Paper No. 956A presented at Annual Meeting Jan. 11–15 1965
- Bigley, Kendrick Mulac “Another Look at Vapor Lock Evaluation,” SAE Paper No. 773A presented Oct. 30–31 1963