This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vibrations — New Aid To Joining
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1965 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Ultrasonic energy is being used today to make solid-state metallurgical bonds without applying heat. Many previously unweldable metal combinations are now both easy and economical to join. Fluxes, inert atmospheres, and elaborate cleaning procedures are no longer necessary.
Ultrasonically assisted soldering makes it possible to solder to aluminum, silicon, germanium, and other metals, without the use of flux.
The use of ultrasonic energy to assist fusion welding, arc welding, brazing, and the like is being investigated, and initial results show improved joint characteristics and lower fusion temperatures.
|Technical Paper||Applications of Clad Metals in Brazed Heat Exchangers|
|Technical Paper||Friction Stir Welding of Aluminium-Alloys|
|Technical Paper||An Overview of Two-Piece Die Cast Aluminum Intake Manifold Joining|
CitationGellert, R., "Vibrations — New Aid To Joining," SAE Technical Paper 650761, 1965, https://doi.org/10.4271/650761.
- Udin H. Funk E. R. Wulff J. “Welding for Engineers.” New York John Wiley and Sons, Inc 1954 9 26
- Peterson J. M. McKaig H. L. DePrisco C. F. “Ultrasonic Welding in Electronic Devices.” 1962
- Langenecker B. “Effects of Ultrasound on Deformation Characteristics of Metals.” Research Department, U. S. Naval Ordnance Test Station China Lake, Cal
- Avila A. J. “A Survey of Metal Bonding in Semiconductor Manufacture.” Semiconductor Products and Solid State Technology Nov. 4 1964
- Zglenicki C. “Ultrasonic Welding.” Product Engineering Feb. 15 1965
- Alden J. H. “Ultrasonic Sealing of Foil.” Modern Packaging July 1961
- Jones J. B. Maropis N. Thomas J. G. Bancroft D. “Phenomenological Considerations in Ultrasonic Welding.” Welding Journal July 1961
- “Ultrasonic Welding Engineering, Manufacturing and Quality Control Problems.” Welding Journal April 1961
- Koziarski J. Dick P. “Ultrasonic Welding Joins Stainless to Aluminum in Nuclear Power Plant.” Materials in Design Engineering May 1961
- Pitthoff W. C. Thomas J. G. Meyer F. R. “Ultrasonic Welding of Dissimilar Metal Combinations.” Welding Journal February 1960
- Neppiras E. A. “Very High Energy Ultrasonics.” British Journal of Applied Physics 11 April 1960
- Langenecker B. Frandsen W. H. Fountain C. W. Colberg S. R. Langenecker J. A. M. “Effects of Ultrasound of Deformation Characteristics of Structural Metals,” March 1964
- Jones J. B. Maropis N. Thomas J. G. Bancroft D. “Fundamentals of Ultrasonic Welding.” May 1959
- Jones J. B. Maropis N. Thomas J. G. Bancroft D. “Fundamentals of Ultrasonic Welding.” December 1960