This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Delivering the Mail with Diesels - The Post Office Department Looks at Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1965 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To determine to what extent diesel power should be introduced into the 60,000 truck postal fleet, a comprehensive evaluation-type study was undertaken by the Automotive Division of the Post Office Department. The study encompassed the complete range of truck sizes from the large 65,000 gcw tractor-trucks to the small 1/4-ton three wheel scooters. Considered in the evaluation were such factors as reliability, noise level, driver reaction and vehicle performance characteristics, in addition to the usual comparison of fuel consumption. Although the complete life cycle of the representative gasoline and diesel vehicles being studied is not complete, certain interim findings concerning vehicle performance and driver acceptance do support the trend to more general use of diesel powered vehicles.
CitationNield, G., "Delivering the Mail with Diesels - The Post Office Department Looks at Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 650710, 1965, https://doi.org/10.4271/650710.
- Stevens S. S., “Procedure for Calculating Loudness: Mark VI,” J. of the Acoustical Soc. of America, Vol. 33 (Nov. 1961), 1577–1585.
- SAE Handbook. New York: Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1965, pp. 887–889.
- Stevens S. S., “Calculation of the Loudness of Complex Noise,” J. of the Acoustical Soc. of America, Vol. 28 (1956) 807–832.
- Fletcher H., and Munson W. A., “Loudness, Its Definition, Measurements and Calculation,” J. of the Acoustical Soc. of America, Vol. 5 (Oct. 1933), 82–108.
- Beranek, Marshall, Cudworth, and Peterson, “Calculation and Measurement of the Loudness of Sounds,” J. of the Acoustical Soc. of America, Vol. 23 (May, 1951), 261–269.
- Mintz and Tyzzer, “A Loudness Chart for Octave Band Data on Complex Sounds,” J. of the Acoustical Soc. of America, Vol. 24 (Jan., 1952), 80–82.
- Peterson A. P. G., and Gross, E. E. Jr., “Handbook of Noise Measurement.” West Concord, Mass.: General Radio Co., 1963, pp. 111–115.