This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Practical Considerations of Water Jet Propulsion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1965 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The basic elements of water jet propulsion are developed with an approach (somewhat analogous to the momentum concepts of compressible aerodynamics) which eliminates some inconsistencies of actuator-disc theory. The expressions derived form a simple analytical model, and provide not only a rational basis for experimental verification, but a basis for comparative evaluation between differing methods of water propulsion.
Experimental data from water jet propulsors, conventional propellers, and super-cavitating propellers are included to indicate the state-of-the-art; and to emphasize regimes where advancement is required to up date current technology
|Technical Paper||Water Jet Propulsion - Competition for Propellers?|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Results of a Propeller/Wing Interaction Study|
|Technical Paper||Variable-Pitch Propellers|
CitationDelao, M., "Practical Considerations of Water Jet Propulsion," SAE Technical Paper 650630, 1965, https://doi.org/10.4271/650630.
- Johnson Virgil E. Jr., “Waterjet Propulsion For High Speed Hydrofoil Craft.” AIAA Annual Meeting, AIAA Paper No. 64–306, June 1964.
- Traskel J. and Beck W. E., “Waterjet Propulsion for Marine Vehicles.” AIAA/USN Marine Systems & ASW Conf. AIAA Paper No. 65–245, March 1965.
- “Performance of Supercavitating Propeller on ONR Hydrofoil Boat XCH-6 (DTMB-3785).” Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corp., Report No. MPD-47. 134, March 1962.
- Krack R. C. and Gross, J. G. “Experience with the Hydrofoil Craft Denison.” SNAME Hydrofoil Symposium, SNAME Paper No. 2-e, May 1965.
- Meyers, G. R. “Observations and Comments on Hydrofoils.” SNAME Hydrofoil Symposium, SNAME Paper No. 2a, May 1965.
- Nichols M. R. and Pierpont, P. K. “Preliminary Investigation of a Submerged Air Scoop Utilizing Boundary-Layer to Obtain Increased Pressure Recovery.” NACA Tech. Note 3437, April 1955.
- Wislicenus, G. F. “Hydrodynamics and Propulsion of Submerged Bodies.” ARS Reprint, presented at Semi-Annual Meeting, May 1960.
- McCormick, B. W. and Eisenhuth, J. J. “The Design and Performance of Propellers and Pumpjets for Underwater Propulsion.” ARS Preprint 2648–62 Presented at American Rocket Society 17th Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, November 1962.
- “Corsair XL-175 Sunlounger,” Popular Boating, June 1962.
- Borden Dick, “Mfg. Erie Custom.” “The Donzi 16,” Popular Boating, June 1964.
- Crouse, J. E. Soltis, R. F. Montgomery, J. C. “Investigation of the Performance of an Axial-flow Pump Stage Designed by the Blade Element Theory”. NASA Tech. Note TN-D-1109, December 1961.