This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control System Aspects of an Analytical Investigation into Controlling the Structural Modes of Flexible Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1965 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Disturbing pilot accelerations and structural loads due to structural motion are areas of increasing concern, both to the pilots and designers of vehicles for low-altitude, high-speed missions. Such aeroelastic problems can be alleviated by a control system synthesized to effectively increase the damping ratio of the structural modes. The paper discusses the specifics of sensing, local force application, coupling, and adaptability of typical control systems, using the XB-70 as the basic study vehicle. It is shown that a relatively simple conventional control system can be designed to provide damping to the structure while adapting to flight condition variations continuously and guaranteeing phase and gain-stabilization of the structural modes.
CitationMori, A. and Wykes, J., "Control System Aspects of an Analytical Investigation into Controlling the Structural Modes of Flexible Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 650581, 1965, https://doi.org/10.4271/650581.
- Hosenthien, H. H. Borelli, M. R. “Self-adaptive Tracking Filters,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Aerospace Vehicle Flight Controls Systems Committee, Missile and Pilotless Aircraft Subcommittee, July 8–10, 1964.
- Hendrick, R. C. “The Sensor Blender Approach to Control of Flexible Vehicles,” SAE Committee A-18, Aerospace Vehicle Flight Control Systems, New York, New York, July 8–10, 1964.
- Gillooly, R. P. “Control Through Digital Filtering With Application to Highly Elastic Boosters,” McDonnell Aircraft Corporation, July 12, 1963.
- Westerwick, R. A. “Use of Multiple Gyro Feedback to Control Flexible Missiles,” Prepared for SAE Committee A-18, Aircraft, Missile, and Space Vehicle Flight Control Systems, December 12–14, 1962, Miami Beach, Florida.
- Wykes, J. H. Mori, A. S. “An Analytical Investigation of the Concept and Development of Methods for Controlling the Amplitudes and Normal Accelerations of the Elastic Modes of Flexible Aircraft,” Part I, Unclassified Data, First Quarterly Technical Report, North American Aviation Report NA-64-919I, dated 15 September 1964.