This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determination of Breguet 941 STOL Aircraft Transition Velocities with Various Flap Deflections
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1965 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an analytical method developed by the author over a period of years, and was applied to the Breguet 941 STOL aircraft, reported in the Supplement of NASA TN D-2231. The flight data in this report were given in exceptional detail, includingthe propeller characteristics, which are never available in wind tunnel or even in flight test research.
The method solved the perplexing problem of calculating transitional velocities, of climb, take-off, and landing distances with highly deflected flaps. The method is particularly interesting from the standpoint of integrating the high static thrust of 18,000 lb produced by four propellers into a 37,000 lb aircraft. It may be used with confidence when applied to an entirely new form of deflected slipstream design.
CitationFowler, H., "Determination of Breguet 941 STOL Aircraft Transition Velocities with Various Flap Deflections," SAE Technical Paper 650013, 1965, https://doi.org/10.4271/650013.
- James, Wingrove, Holzhauser, “Wind-Tunnel and Piloted Flight Simulator Investigation of a Deflected-Slipstream VTOL Airplane, the Ryan VZ-3RY,” NASA TN D-89 November 1959
- Turner Drinkwater, “Longitudinal Trim Characteristics of a Deflected Slipstream V/STOL Aircraft During Level Flight at Transition Flight Speeds,” NASA TN D-1430 October 1962
- Turner Drinkwater, “Some Flight Characteristics of a Deflected Slipstream V/STOL Aircraft,” NASA TN D-1891 July 1963
- Fowler, Harlan D. “The Aerodynamics of the Deflected Slipstream Airplane,” November 1962
- Fowler, Harlan D. “V/STOL Logistic Aircraft ARDC SR No. 175-Time Period 1970-10 Tons Payload Capacity,” January 28 1960
- Fowler, Harlan D. “Breguet 941 VTOL Transport, Performance Data Report, Tri-Service VTOL Prototype Aircraft,” April 9 1961
- Fowler, Harlan D. “Design for Counter-Insurgency (COIN) Aircraft, Preliminary Data,” February 8 1963
- Quigley, Innis, Holzhauser, “A Flight Investigation of the Performance, Handling Qualities, and Operational Characteristics of a Deflected Slipstream STOL Transport Airplane (Breguet 941) Having Four Interconnected Propellers,” NASA TN D-2231 March 1964
- “Flight Test Data Supplement to NASA TN D-2231,” Ames Research Center Librarian at Moffett Field Calif
- Weiberg Page, “Large Scale Wind-Tunnel Tests of an Airplane Model with an Unswept, Aspect-Ratio-10 Wing, Four Propellers, and Blowing Flaps,” NASA TN D-25 September 1959
- Fowler, Harlan D. “Light Armed Reconnaissance Airplane (COIN),” March 5 1964