This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Recent Progress on the Cold Cranking of Motor Oils
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1964 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Numerous oil viscosity investigations have been made over the years in an effort to solve the problems of low temperature engine starting. This paper gives the historical background of these investigations and discusses recent reports of experiments on the relationship between oil characteristics and engine cranking. Considerable details are given of the processes involved in these analyses and of the steps required to correct present viscosity standards to account for oils containing polymeric viscosity index improvers.
CitationVick, G., "Recent Progress on the Cold Cranking of Motor Oils," SAE Technical Paper 640333, 1964, https://doi.org/10.4271/640333.
- Wilson, C. E. SAE Bulletin 4 (1913), 308.
- Wilkin, R. E. Oak, P. T. and Barnard, D. P. SAE J., 22 (1928), 213.
- Appeldoorn, J. K. API Meeting, Chicago, November, 1948.
- Wilkin, R. E. SAE J., 25(1929), 44.
- Larson, C. H. SAE J., 29 (1931), 210.
- Fischl, F. B. Horowitz, H. H. and Tutwiler, T. S. SAE Trans., 64 (1956), 608.
- Brunner M. and Ruf, H. Scientific Lubrication, 12 (1960), 27.
- Horowitz H. H. and Vick, G. K. SAE Trans., 70 (1962), 268.
- SAE Handbook, published yearly by the Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 485 Lexington Avenue, New York. In the 1964 Handbook, p. 332.
- Ibid, p. 336.
- Malone, G. K. and Selby, T. W. SAE Trans., 64 (1956), 602.
- Kohl G. A. and Skogland, R. D. ASTM Special Technical Publication No. 299, pp. 123–134.
- Newingham T. D. and Ziegler, J. B. Lubrication Engineering, 18 (1962), 71.
- Rein S. W. and Cordell, A. D. Preprint No. 805B, SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January, 1964.
- Selby, T. W. ASTM Special Technical Publication No. 299, pp. 136–143.
- Gavlin, G. Swire, E. A. and Jones, S. P. Jr., Ind. Eng. Chem., 45 (1953), 2327.
- Gerrard, J. E. Appeldoorn, J. K. and Philippoff, W. Nature, 194 (1962), 1067.
- CRC Report No. 374, “Development of Research Technique for Determining Low-Temperature Cranking Characteristics of Engine Oils,” January, 1964.
- Lowther, H. V. Meyer, W. A. P. Selby, T. W. and Vick, G. K. Preprint No. 805A, SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January, 1964.
- Munsell. M. W. Prepared discussion of Paper No. 805B, SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January, 1964.
- Selby, T. W. Letter to RD VII-B of ASTM D-2, June 23, 1964.
- Forster E. O. and Horowitz, H. H. ASTM Special Technical Publication No. 299, pp. 85–94, 150–152.
- Selby, T. W. Proceedings of the Sixth World Petroleum Congress, Frankfurt, June, 1963, Section VI, Paper 17.
- Graves, W. H. Mougey, H. C. and Upham, E. W. SAE J., 35 (1934), 238.
- Selby, T. W. Preprint No. 805C, SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January, 1964.
- Becker, A. E. Automotive Industries, 401 (March 7, 1931).