This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New Quality Control Test for Anodized Aluminum
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1964 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reviews briefly many of the tests currently being used to evaluate the quality of anodized aluminum, particularly that used for automotive trim applications. The advantages and disadvantages of each are related to the need for a more quantitative rapid test. A new quality control test developed by Alcoa for use with anodized aluminum is presented for consideration by the automotive industry. This test, based on the measurement of impedance of the anodized coating, is rapid, nondestructive, adaptable to different configurations, economical, independent of alloy, and highly discriminating with regard to coating thickness and seal.
CitationEnglehart, E. and Sowinski, G., "New Quality Control Test for Anodized Aluminum," SAE Technical Paper 640085, 1964, https://doi.org/10.4271/640085.
- Plating, Vol. 47, No. 6 (1960), 623–631.
- LaQue, F. L. “A Critical Look at Salt Spray Tests,” Materials and Methods, 35, No. 2 (1950), 72–81.
- Nixon, C. F. Thomas, J. P. and Hardesty, D. W. “Experiences with the Copper Chloride Modified Acetic Acid Salt Spray.” 46th Annual Technical Proceedings, American Electroplaters Society, 1959.
- Bigge, D. M. “Experience with the Use of Corrodkote Test.” 46th Annual Technical Proceedings, American Electroplaters Society, 1959.
- Brace, A. W. and Pocock, K. “Methods of Testing Anodic Coatings on Aluminum,” Trans. Inst. Met. Finishing, 1958, p. 35.
- Warrick S. and Pinner R., Chapter II, “Physical and Chemical Properties of Anodic Coatings, The Surface Treatment and Finishing of Aluminum and Its Alloys,” 2nd. ed”., 1959.
- Kape, J. M. “The Deterioration of Anodized Aluminum Exposed to Corrosive Environments,” Electroplating and Metal Finishing (1959), 41.
- Ford Motor Company, Quality Laboratory and Chemical Engineering Physical Test Methods, MA-P, BQ7-1.
- Walton, C. J. Sprowls, D. O. and Nock, A. Jr., “Resistance of Aluminum Alloys to Weathering,” Corrosion (1953).
- Cochran, W. C. Englehart, E. T. and George, D. J. “Improved Methods, New Tests Up-Grade Anodized Aluminum Auto Trim,” Modern Metals (October, 1960).
- Wood, G. C. Trans. Institute of Metal Finishing, Vol. 36 (1959) 220–229.
- Hoar T. P. and Wood, G. C. Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 7 (1962), 333–335.