This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Method To Reduce Time for Estimation of Component Life
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1964 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A method of estimating component life is presented. This method reduces the time required to tabulate load spectra from oscillograph records and simplifies the life computation. Only the upper levels of the spectra are counted. The slopes of the abbreviated load spectrum plot and S-N curve, and a series of graphs are used to estimate equivalent damage cycles at the top load level. Equivalent damage cycles may then be used to estimate life, establish the load level and the length of laboratory tests, or provide a basis for redesign of the component.
CitationGraham, J., Olberts, D., and Wolf, L., "A Method To Reduce Time for Estimation of Component Life," SAE Technical Paper 640043, 1964, https://doi.org/10.4271/640043.
- PalmgrenA., “Die Lebensdauer Von Kugellagerem,” Ver. deut. Ingenieure, Vol. 68, No. 14, (1924), 339-341.
- MinerM. A., “Cumulative Damage in Fatigue,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 12, (September 1945), A-159.
- Timken Roller Bearing Co., The Timken Engineering Journal, Section 1, (1957), 37.
- Bower Roller Bearing Div., Bower Roller Bearings Engineering Data, (1963), A8.
- Gleason Works, “Bending Stresses in Bevel Gear Teeth,” Gear Engineering Standards, (1960), 18.
- Gleason Works, “Surface Durability Pitting Formulas for Bevel Gear Teeth,” Gear Engineering Standards (1960), 14.
- WorleyW. S., “V-Belt Drives,” Agricultural Engineers Handbook. New York: McGraw-Hill, (1961), 40-50.
- CortenH. T. and DolanT. J., “Cumulative Fatigue of Metals, IME and ASME, 1956.
- CortenH. T., “Design Considerations for Limited Fatigue Life Under Complex Stress Histories,” SESA Design Clinics, (October1959), 1-21.
- HofmeisterW. F., “Application of Cumulative Fatigue Damage Theory to Practical Problems,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 68, (1960), 274-282.
- GrahamJ. A., “Use of Cumulative Damage in Designing to Resist Fatigue.” Paper presented at SAE National Farm, Construction and Industrial Machinery Meeting, (September1962).
- CrichlowW. J. and McCulloughA. J., “An Engineering Evaluation of Methods for the Prediction of Fatigue Life in Airframe Structures,” Air Force Systems Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, AD 276, 249 ASTIA (March1962)
- GrahamJ. A., “Function and Use of the Peak Distribution Analyzer,” SESA 1962 Annual Meeting, Paper No. 773.