This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Rating Formula for Tapered Roller Bearings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1963 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the rating formula used by The Timken Roller Bearing Company to determine the basic ratings for tapered roller bearings. A derivation of the formula is given. A resume of fatigue tests on 1760 bearings, representing 16 different series, provides experimental verification of the Timken bearing formula. These data are clearly in better agreement with the Timken Company rating formula than the rating method proposed by the American Standards Association.
|Technical Paper||Relating Lubricant Film Thickness to Contact Fatigue|
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Capacity Rating of Roller Bearings|
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Bearing Damage|
CitationMoyer, C. and McKelvey, R., "A Rating Formula for Tapered Roller Bearings," SAE Technical Paper 630481, 1963, https://doi.org/10.4271/630481.
- MundtR. , “Oberflachenspannungen and Ermudungsbruch bei Walzlagern, Forschung auf dem Gebiete des Ingenieurwesens,” Vol. 3, No. 3, 1932.
- ClinedinstW. O. , “Fatigue Life of Tapered Roller Bearings,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 4, No. 4, December 1937.
- TimoshenkoS. , “Strength of Materials,” Part II.D. Van Nostrand Co., 1940.
- SeeleyF. B. and SmithJ. O., “Advanced Mechanics of Materials,” Chapter 11, Contact Stresses. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1952.
- StribeckR. , “Kugellager fur beliebige Belastung,” Zeit, U.D.I., Vol. 45, 1901.
- “American Standard Method of Evaluating Load Ratings for Ball and Roller Bearings,” American Standards Association, Inc., Approved January 6, 1959.
- “Timken Engineering Journal,” Section I, The Tim-ken Roller Bearing Co., 1957.
- WeibullW., “Fatigue Testing and an Analysis of Results.”, New York: Pergamon Press 1961.
- KaoJ. H. K. , “The Design and Analysis of Life-Testing Experiments,” 1958 Middle Atlantic Conference Transactions, American Society of Quality Control or Reliability Training, Text, Chapter II, Institute of Radio Engineers, Second Edition ASQC, March 1960.
- GumbelE. J. , “Statistical Theory of Extreme Values and Some Practical Applications,” National Bureau of Standards, Applied Mathematics Series 33, Feb. 12 1954.
- LiebleinJ. and ZelenM. , “Statistical Investigation of the Fatigue Life of Deep-Groove Ball Bearings,” Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards, Vol. 57, No. 5, November 1956 (Research Paper 2719).
- LundbergG. and PalmgrenA. , “Dynamic Capacity of Rolling Bearings,” Acta Polytechnica, Mechanical Engineering Series, Vol. 1, No. 3, 1947.
- LundbergG. and PalmgrenA. , “Dynamic Capacity of Roller Bearings”, Acta Polytechnica No. 96, 1952.
- LundbergG. and PalmgrenA. , “Dynamic Capacity of Roller Bearings”, Acta Polytechnica No. 3, 1952.
- JonesA. B. ,“Analysis of Stresses and Deflections,”, Vol. 1.