This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
the potential of
for Vehicle Propulsion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1959 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
COMPARISON of work capacity per unit mass and volume of different energy carriers shows that liquid hydrocarbons are superior to other energy sources. Solar and nuclear powerplants as well as their use in conjunction with a steam engine are examined in this paper.
Suitability of an electric drive is discussed. Using a production 2-stroke diesel engine and its development forecast, a comparison is made of spark ignition, diesel, and gas turbine engines.
The status of the free-piston engine turbine combination is reviewed.
CitationKyropoulos, P., "the potential of
- “Aspects of Automotive Gas Turbine for Military and Commercial Vehicles,” Turunen, W. A. Schilling, R. Baugh. E. L. Paper presented at SAE Summer Meeting Atlantic City June 1957
- ASME Transactions Vol. 80 May 1958 909 914 “Work Capacities of Energy Storage Systems on Basis of Unit Weight and Unit Volume,” Kline, L. V. Marco, S. M. Starkey. W. L.
- SAE Quarterly Transactions Vol. 2 April 1948 288 “Thermodynamics of Vapor Powerplants for Motor Vehicles,” Neil. E. B.
- Zeitschrift, Verein Deutscher Ingenieure Vol. 92 June 1950 401 “Die Schnellaufende Kolbendampfmaschine,” Reinhold. V.
- Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift Vol. 48 January 1946 21 “Dampfangetriebene Kraftfahrzeuge,” Eichmann. O.
- Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift Vol. 46 1943 351 “Entwicklungsmoglichkeiten des Dampfkraftwagens,” Hubmeier. M.
- Zeitschrift, Verein Deutscher Ingenieure Vol. 78 January 20 1934 65 “Neue Dampffahrzeuge,” Imfeld K. Roosen. R.
- SAE Journal, Vol. 66 March 1958 69 “Atomic Powerplants,” Reeves. E. D.
- SAE Transactions Vol. 65 1957 436 451 “Automotive Nuclear-Heat Engines and Associated High-Temperature Materials,” Schwartz F. L. Ohlgren. H. A.
- Aeronautical Engineering Review, Vol. 17 January 1958 20 “Airborne Nuclear Powerpropulsion System Design Considerations,” Orsmby, R. B. Jr.
- “Materials in Automobile of Future,” Boegehold. A. L. Paper presented at ASTM Meeting Cleveland April 1956
- SAE Transactions Vol. 65 1957 377 391 “GMR 4-4 Hyprex Engine, A Concept of Free-Piston Engine for Automotive Use,” Underwood. A. F.
- SAE Transactions Vol. 65 1957 628 634 “Automotive Free-Piston-Turbine Engine,” Frey, D. N. Klotsch, P. Egli. A.
- SAE Transactions Vol. 65 1957 508 515 “Observations on 25,000 Hours of Free-Piston Engine Operation,” Flynn, G. Jr.