This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
THE GMR 4-4 “HYPREX” ENGINE A CONCEPT OF THE FREE-PISTON ENGINE FOR AUTOMOTIVE USE
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1957 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
DESCRIBED here is a 250-hp free-piston gasifier-turbine engine that has actually been installed in an automobile.
A unique feature of this Hyprex engine is that it is a siamesed unit. The overall design has been selected, according to the author, to secure a compact, light-weight machine with improved thermal efficiency and with a reduction in general noise.
Although the engine is still in the experimental stage, the author reports that analysis and results indicate it will be a serious contender for powering automotive vehicles.
CitationUnderwood, A., "THE GMR 4-4 “HYPREX” ENGINE A CONCEPT OF THE FREE-PISTON ENGINE FOR AUTOMOTIVE USE," SAE Technical Paper 570032, 1957, https://doi.org/10.4271/570032.
- Journal of Société des Ingénieurs de I' Automobile Vol. 24 1951 267 274 “Les Generateurs à Gaz à Pistons Libres,” Huber R.
- “Application Marines et Stationnaires de Groupes Générateurs à Pistons Libres,” Huber R. Presented at Congress International des Moteurs à Combustion Interne The Hague 1955
- Transactions of Institute of Marine Engineers Vol. 66 1954 201 215 “Free Piston Gas-Generator Turbine as Powerplant for Ship Propulsion,” Muntz F. A. I. Huber R.
- ASME Transactions Vol. 77 1955 197 207 “Free Piston Engine and Turbine Compound Engine—Cycle Analysis,” London A. L.
- 471 477 “Experimental Chassis for Firebird II,” Bidwell J. B. Owen R. E.