This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
DIESEL ENGINE CRANKCASE EXPLOSION INVESTIGATION
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1951 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this paper is to present information gained from a study of the lubricating oil aspects of crankcase explosions. Experimental tests indicate the crankcase atmosphere of a Diesel engine is a potentially inflammable mixture of oil mist and air in which ignition may be initiated by an overheated part. The minimum ignition temperature of an oil mist/air mixture is reduced by decreased air flow, increased mixture temperature, and increased ignitor size. No significant differences were found in the minimum ignition temperature of a wide variety of lubricating oils, even when diluted with up to 20 per cent Diesel fuel. As long as inflammable lubricants are employed, it appears that little can be done from a lubricating oil or fuel standpoint to prevent crankcase explosions. It is indicated that the problem may best be attacked by further critical studies of operation and maintenance practices and continued refinements in engine design.
CitationFerguson, G., "DIESEL ENGINE CRANKCASE EXPLOSION INVESTIGATION(
- Corrigan Brian Wetmiller R. S. Johnson E. M.
- Coward H. F. Jones G. W. “Limits of Inflammability of Gases and Vapors” U. S. Bureau of Mines, Bulletin No. 279 1939 8 125
- Cook F. V. “Crankcase Explosions” Fifth Annual Petroleum Mechanical Engineering Conference New Orleans, La Sept., 1950
- Haber F. Wolff H. “Uber Nebelexplosionen” (Fog Explosions) Zeit, F. angew Chem. 36 1923 373 7
- Burgoyne J. H. Richardson J. F. “The Inflammability of Oil Mists,” Fuel 28 1949 3
- Coward H. F. Jones G. W. U. S. Bureau of Mines, Bulletin 279 1939
- Sullivan M. V. Wolfe J. K. Zisman W. A. “Inflammability of the Higher Boiling Liquids and Their Mists,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Dec. 1947 1607 14
- Burgoyne J. H. Richardson J. F. “The Inflammability of Oil Mists,” Fuel 28 1949 5
- Pounder C. C. “Diesel Engine Crankcase Safety Precautions,” The British Motor Ship 1950 490
- Elliot M. A. “The Combustion of Diesel Fuel” Jan., 1949 SAE Meeting Detroit, Michigan
- Wilhem Jost “Explosion and Combustion Processes in Gases” 1946 22 Huber O. Croft Translation McGraw-Hill New York