This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
BASIC PROBLEMS IN THE DESIGN OF HIGH-OUTPUT AIRCRAFT ENGINES
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1938 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Here is presented an analysis of important technical problems in the design of high output aircraft engines. Different methods of boosting the output are fundamentally considered. The method of supercharging is revealed to be the most promising one. Design limitations to high outputs are stress, heat dissipation, piston speed and detonation; the removal of each limit would require, beside chemical and metallurgical improvements, the use of spark control valve overlap and injection of anti-detonating or artificially-cooling liquid. The utilization of energy from exhaust gas is highly advised. Numerical example is shown for a design of 3000 H.P. engine and possible arrangements of cylinders are compared. Necessary alterations in design are recommended to acquire high specific output.
CitationTsien, H., "BASIC PROBLEMS IN THE DESIGN OF HIGH-OUTPUT AIRCRAFT ENGINES," SAE Technical Paper 380111, 1938, https://doi.org/10.4271/380111.
- Prescott F.L. “Military Aircraft Engines of Future” Mechanical Engineering March 1936 157 161
- Tsien H.C. Hottel H.C. “Notes on the Effect of H/C Ratio to the Validity of Mollier Diagram for Internal Combustion Engines” Journal I.A.S. March 1938 203 207
- NACA Miscellaneous Paper No.34 “Prospects for Jet Propulsion of Airplane with special Reference to Exhaust Gases”
- Spanogle J.A. Whitney E.G. “A Description and Test Results of A Spark Ignition and A Compression Ignition 2-Stroke Cycle Engine” NACA Tech. Report No. 495 1934
- DuBois R.N. Cronstedt Val “High Output in Aircraft Engines” S.A.E. Transactions June 1937 225 231
- Estel E. 748 758 1937
- Durand W.F. “Aerodynamic Theory” III 146
- Von Kàrma̍n Th. Tsien H.S. “Boundary Layer in Compressible Fluids” Journal I.A.S. April 1938 230
- Tsien H.C. “Variables Affecting Detonation in Spark-Ignition Engines” M.I.T. Thesis for M.S.A.E. 1937
- Serruys M “Problem of Detonation” Aircraft Engineering May 1938 143 151 IV 4 172 202
- Brinkerhoff V.W. “Influence of Water Injection on Engine Performance” NACA Technical Report No.45 Part 4
- Goodenough G.A. Felbeck G. T. “An Investigation of the Maximum Pressure and Temperature” Bulletin No.139 Eng. Exp. Station of III March 1924
- Taylor E.S. Ku K.F. Kennedy W.P. “Spark Control of Supercharged Aircraft Engines” Journal I.A.S. July 1936 326 328
- Hottel H.C. Eberhardt J.E. “A Mollier Diagram for the Internal Combustion Engines” Chemical Reviews December 1937