This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerospace & Defense Technology: May 2021
- Magazine Issue
Published May 01, 2021 by SAE International in United States
- Powering Better Battlefield Drones
- Using Low-Frequency Broadband Sonar on UUVs
Experimenting in Realistic Environments Gets NewTechnology to Warfighters
- Designing Rugged SWaP-Optimized MOSA Solutions for UUVs
- Does Your UAV Program Need a Transponder?
Understanding the Requirements and Guidelines
- Developing New Anti-Drone Radar Technology
- Deceiving the Enemy: These Are the Drones You Are Looking For
By developing UAVs for physical deception roles to shape an adversary's ability to visually observe and orient to situations, the US military can decrease risk to air and ground combatants during mission execution by causing adversaries to expend resources, delay their reactions, or react incorrectly to tactical situations.
- Calibrated Long-Wave Infrared (LWIR) Thermal and Polarimetric Imagery of Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and Birds
Producing a set of well-calibrated imagery, both conventional LWIR thermal (watts/cm2-sr) and its corresponding polarimetric imagery (percent radiance polarized), helps evaluate the ability to distinguish between small UAVs and birds of similar size and dimensions.
- Cyber Risk Assessment and Scoring Model for Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
Based on lessons learned from similar domains of aircraft operation, information technologies, cyber-physical systems, and cyber insurance, a cyber risk assessment methodology tailored for small UAVs is developed.
- Modeling a UAV-Based Mesh Network to Analyze Latency and Throughput
Improving network technology through effective systems architecture can ensure better communication between a ground station and multiple UAVs.
- Investigation of Flight Dynamics and Controls for a Solar-Tracker-Mounted UAV
Optimizing solar panel orientation with regards to the sun while minimizing power consumed by the tracking device could result in more efficient UAV power systems.