This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on the Impact of Corrosion under Insulation (CUI) on the Acoustic Performance of an Absorptive Muffler of Automobiles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 08, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automobile exhaust systems help to attenuate the engine combustion noise as well as the high frequency flow noises which are generated as the gas expands and contracts through various ducts and orifices of muffler system. One of the solutions to mitigate the noise generated due to the latter is by means of an absorptive muffler, comprising a fibrous acoustic medium which helps to absorb noise of certain frequencies which are sensitive to the human ear. Typically, the construction of such a system consists of the fibrous acoustic medium encompassing a perforated inner pipe on the inside and enclosed by an outer metal case on the outside. The temperature limitations of the acoustic medium sometimes necessitate the placement of the fibrous acoustic system away from the engine source in order to prevent any damage to the fibers upon direct contact with the flue gas. However, this results in a potential for condensation of engine out gas in and around the inner pipe – fibrous system interface leading to a corrosive environment. This eventually leads to the formation of rust on the inner pipe a condition commonly known as corrosion under insulation (CUI). The corrosion over a period of time causes deposits to generate on the perforations causing them to partially or fully close which subsequently results in the deterioration of the acoustic performance of the absorptive muffler.
This paper deals with the various factors that promote CUI conditions in a typical absorptive muffler of an automobile by means of a market case study. It also dwells on various guidelines for mitigating the impact of rust formation which can lead to noise deterioration, from both design and manufacturing perspectives.
CitationVineeth, S., Mishra, M., and Tripathi, M., "A Study on the Impact of Corrosion under Insulation (CUI) on the Acoustic Performance of an Absorptive Muffler of Automobiles," SAE Technical Paper 2023-01-1087, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/2023-01-1087.
- Reina , H. , Gregor , M. et al. Impact of Condensates Containing Chloride and Sulphate on the Corrosion in Automotive Exhaust Systems BHM Berg-und Hüttenmännische Monatshefte 158 9 2013 377 383 10.1007/s00501-013-0180-6
- James , Higgins 2013
- Javaherdashti , R. Corrosion under Insulation (CUI): A Review of Essential Knowledge and Practice Journal of Materials Science & Surface Engineering 1 2 2014
- NACE International the Worldwide Corrosion Authority 2017
- Dey , Anup Kumar Engineering Materials Mechanical Piping Design Basics Piping Interface Process
- Suresh , M. , Kumar , M. , Sujata , M. , Venkataswamy , S. et al. Failure Analysis of a Stainless-Steel Pipeline Engineering Failure Analysis 2008 1350 6307 10.1016/j.engfailanal.2007.05.002