This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Active Noise Control System Optimized for Road Noise Reduction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 08, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, a newly developed Active Noise Control (ANC) system is introduced, that effectively reduces road noise, which becomes a major issue with electrified vehicles, and that enhances vehicle interior sound levels matching seamless acceleration by electric drive. Conventionally, reducing road noise using ANC requires numerous sensors and speakers, as well as a processor with high computing power. Therefore, the increase in system cost and the complexity of the system are obstacles to its spread. To overcome these issues, this system is developed based on four concepts. The first is a modular system configuration with unified interface to apply to various vehicle types and grades. The second is the integration and optimal placement of noise source reference sensors to achieve both reduction in number of parts and noise reduction performance. The third is the application of digital communications that combine power superposition, low latency, and high throughput to reduce wiring. The fourth is the development of control technologies that specialize in in-vehicle acoustic characteristics to achieve both computational efficiency and noise reduction performance. The one is a technology to integrate control paths based on the sound field mode characteristics in the vehicle cabin, and another one is the frequency band restrain control technology that matches speaker output characteristics. It is confirmed that this proposed system achieves quietness improvement equivalent to the difference of vehicle segmentation with a minimum system configuration, and that this system has a high superiority in weight efficiency compared to conventional vehicle body measures.
CitationSakamoto, K. and Kobayashi, Y., "Development of Active Noise Control System Optimized for Road Noise Reduction," SAE Technical Paper 2023-01-1040, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/2023-01-1040.
- Suzuki , H. The Environment and the Automobile Industry (Year Book) JSAE 76 8 2022 26 31
- Seino , H. , Fujigaki , S. , Nakamura , H. , and Miyasaka , Y. Vibration, Noise and Ride Quality (Year Book) JSAE 76 8 2022 144 150
- Masuda , K. , Hatano , S. , Tanaka , T. , and Hashimoto , T. Effect of Sound Quality on Fatigue under Long Term Exposure of Noise 2013
- Widrow , B. and Stearns , S.D. Adaptive Signal Processing Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey Prentice Hall 1985
- Kuo , S.M. Active Noise Control Systems: Algorithms and DSP Implementations Wiley-Interscience 1996
- Sano , H. , Inoue , T. , Takahashi , A. , Ishihara , D. et al. Active Control System for Low Frequency Road Noise Combined with an Audio System HONDA R&D Technical Review 12 2 2000 71 80
- Sano , H. , Inoue , T. , Takahashi , A. , Terai , K. et al. Active Control System for Low Frequency Road Noise Combined with an Audio System IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing 9 7 2001 755 763
- Inoue , T. , Takahashi , A. , Minowa , S. , and Sano , H. Development of Active Noise Control System for Engine Booming Noise Honda R&D Technical Review 15 2 2003 201 208
- Inoue , T. Active Sound Control Technology in Automobiles Journal of INCE/J 34 5 2010 336 341
- Inoue , T. , Takahashi , A. , Sakamoto , K. , and Kobayashi , Y. Integrated Active Noise Control System for Low-frequency Noise in Automobiles Honda R&D Technical Review 23 2 2011 121 128
- Sakamoto , K. and Inoue , T. Development of Feedback Active Noise Control Technology for Noise in Multiple Narrow Frequency Bands by Multiplexing of Single-frequency Adaptive Notch Filters HONDA R&D Technical Review 26 2 2014 237 243
- Sakamoto , K. and Inoue , T. Development of Feedback-Based Active Road Noise Control Technology for Noise in Multiple Narrow-Frequency Bands and Integration with Booming Noise Active Noise Control System SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 8 1 2015 1 7 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0660
- Sutton , T.J. , Elliott , S.J. , Malcolm McDonald , A. , and Saunders , T.J. 1994
- Zafeiropoulos , N. , Ballatore , M. , Moorhouse , A. , and Mackay , A. Active Control of Structure-Borne Road Noise Based on the Separation of Front and Rear Structural Road Noise Related Dynamics SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 8 3 2015 886 891 10.4271/2015-01-2222
- Oh , C. , Ih , K.-D. , and Lee , J. Development of Mass Producible ANC System for Broad-Band Road Noise SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1561 2018 10.4271/2018-01-1561
- Valeri , F. and Stirlen , C. Practical Uses for Road Noise Cancellation SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-1018 2021 10.4271/2021-01-1018
- Wang , X. , Maesaka , T. , and Inoue , T. Active Sound Control Technology for Electrified Vehicles Based on Concept of Shepard Tones Honda R&D Technical Review 33 1 2021 38 45