This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Lateral Offset Estimation Using Infrastructure Information for Reduced Compute Load
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Accurate perception of the driving environment and a highly accurate position of the vehicle are paramount to safe Autonomous Vehicle (AV) operation. AVs gather data about the environment using various sensors. For a robust perception and localization system, incoming data from multiple sensors is usually fused together using advanced computational algorithms, which historically requires a high-compute load. To reduce AV compute load and its negative effects on vehicle energy efficiency, we propose a new infrastructure information source (IIS) to provide environmental data to the AV. The new energy–efficient IIS, chip–enabled raised pavement markers are mounted along road lane lines and are able to communicate a unique identifier and their global navigation satellite system position to the AV. This new IIS is incorporated into an energy efficient sensor fusion strategy that combines its information with that from traditional sensor. IIS reduce the need for camera imaging, image processing, and LIDAR use and point cloud processing. We show that IIS, when combined with traditional sensors, results in more accurate perception and localization outcomes and a reduced AV compute load.
CitationSharma, S., Fanas Rojas, J., Ekti, A., Wang, C. et al., "Vehicle Lateral Offset Estimation Using Infrastructure Information for Reduced Compute Load," SAE Technical Paper 2023-01-0800, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/2023-01-0800.
- Araghi , F.M. , Rabinwoitz , A. , Ang , C.C. , Sharma , S. et al. Identifying and Assessing Research Gaps for Energy Efficient Control of Electrified Autonomous Vehicle Ecodriving Machine Learning and Optimization Techniques for Automotive Cyber-Physical Systems Springer Nature 2022
- Motallebiaraghi , F. , Rabinowitz , A. , Holden , J. et al. High-Fidelity Modeling of Light-Duty Vehicle Emission and Fuel Economy Using Deep Neural Networks SAE Technical 2021
- Motallebiaraghi , F. , Yao , K. , Rabinowitz , A. , Hoehne , C. et al. Mobility Energy Productivity Evaluation of Prediction-Based Vehicle Powertrain Control Combined with Optimal Traffic Management SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0141 2022 https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0141
- Lee , D. and Liu , J. End-to-End Deep Learning of Lane Detection and Path Prediction for Real-Time Autonomous Driving CoRR abs/2102.04738 2021
- Kadav , P. , Goberville , N. , Motallebiaraghi , F. , Fong , A. , and Asher , Z.D. in Intelligent Transportation Systems World Congress
- Zou , Q. , Jiang , H. , Dai , Q. , Yue , Y. et al. Robust Lane Detection from Continuous Driving Scenes Using Deep Neural Networks IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 69 jan 2020 41 54
- Stephens , D. , Schroeder , J. , and Klein , R.
- Sharma , S. , Ekti , A.R. , Rojas , J.F. , Brown , N.E. , et al. 2022 IEEE Sensors 2022
- Dosovitskiy , A. , Ros , G. , Codevilla , F. , López , A.M. et al. CARLA: An Open Urban Driving Simulator CoRR abs/1711.03938 2017
- Ronneberger , O. , Fischer , P. , and Brox , T. U-Net: Convolutional Networks for Biomedical Image Segmentation CoRR abs/1505.04597 2015
- Kadav P. , Sharma S. , Araghi F.M. , and Asher Z.D. Development of Computer Vision Models for Drivable Region Detection in Snow Occluded Lane Lines Machine Learning and Optimization Techniques for Automotive Cyber-Physical Systems Springer Nature
- Zhu H. An Efficient Lane Line Detection Method Based on Computer Vision Journal of Physics: Conference Series 1802 032006 2021
- Cao , X. , Liu , D. , and Ren , X. Detection Method for Auto Guide vehicle’s Walking Deviation Based on Image Thinning and Hough Transform Measurement and Control 52 3-4 2019 252 261
- He , J. , Sun , S. , Zhang , D. , Wang , G. , and Zhang , C. 2019 IEEE International Conference on Electron Devices and Solid-State Circuits (EDSSC) 2019
- Quigley , M. , Conley , K. , Gerkey , B. , Faust , J. , et al.
- Welch , G. and Bishop , G. SIGGRAPH 2001 1995