This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Rolling Resistance and Wet/Snow Traction Performance of Commercially Available Light-Duty Vehicle Tires in North America (Canada) Pt.II
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Low rolling resistance tires are a technology used to improve fuel economy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the transportation sector. This project analyzed current relationships between environmental and safety performance properties of commercially available light-duty tire models in Canada. This paper presents the results of a blinded multi-year light-duty vehicle tire research project conducted by Transport Canada & Natural Resources Canada. The study follows on an update to SAE WCX 2018-01-1336 which presented results for tires tested between MY2014-2018. Tire performance was evaluated in a variety of tire categories with a focus on wet grip and rolling resistance. Correlations between key performance indicators were charted to analyze trends in new model tires available on the Canadian tire market. Manufacturer specifications were also charted to evaluate the relations of wet grip and rolling resistance with price, UTQG ratings, and marketing categories. Testing for rolling resistance was done using the single point rolling resistance coefficient method via ISO 28580. Wet grip index values were measured as a metric of performance through UNECE Reg.117, with snow and ice performance ratings from ASTM 1805. The data presented in the following paper provides empirical insight into the light-truck, “new generation” winter tire market, original equipment manufacturer tire (OEM), and an assorted winter tire testing campaign. Important context was added in these markets, to provide regulators with information that can be used to assess a potential minimum energy performance standard (MEPS) for replacement passenger tires in support of policy goals. 155 unique model tires were tested within the 2018-2022 campaign further adding to the 138 presented in the previous edition of this paper (SAE WCX 2018-01-1336).
CitationShafique, H., Conde, A., and Beaupre-Jacques, A., "Rolling Resistance and Wet/Snow Traction Performance of Commercially Available Light-Duty Vehicle Tires in North America (Canada) Pt.II," SAE Technical Paper 2023-01-0020, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/2023-01-0020.
- 2009 http://data.europa.eu/eli/reg/2009/1222/oj
- Lee , M. and Sivaraman , D. Benchmarks for Minimum Energy Performance Standard for Passenger Car and Light Duty Vehicle Replacement Tires –Updated June 2022 Energy Solutions California 2022
- Flanigan , C.M. , Beyer , L. , Klekamp , D. , Rohweder , D. et al. Comparative Study of Silica, Carbon Black and Novel Fillers in Tread Compounds. 2011 http://www.ardl.com/sites/default/files/docs/papers/34._comparative_study_of_silica_carbon_black_and_novel_fillers_in_tread_compounds_-_flanigan_beyer_klekamp_rohweder_stuck_terrill.s.pdf
- July 2009 https://www.iso.org/standard/44770.html
- February 2016
- CSA Group Minimum Energy Performance Technical Specification for Passenger Tires CSA SPE 115 CSA Group ON 2021 ISBN 978-1-4883-3594-5
- ASTM F1805-12 Standard Test Method for Single Wheel Driving Traction in a Straight Line on Snow- and Ice-Covered Surfaces West Conshohocken, PA ASTM International 2012 www.astm.org
- Consumer Guide to Uniform Tire Quality Grading August 2016 https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/812325_2016-uniformtirequalitygrading.pdf
- PROGRAM: Transport Canada Traction Report Report. Smithers Rapra North America Ravenna, Ohio Smithers Rapra 2018-22
- Vuorinen , J. , Hagman , S. , Pauwelussen , J. , Dierkes , W. et al. January 16, 2008 https://www.tut.fi/ms/muo/vert/index.htm
- Nardin , M. and Papirer , E. Powders and Fibers: Interfacial Science and Applications Boca Raton, FL CRC Press 2007 ISBN: 978-1-57444-513-8
- Pike Opportunities to Improve Tire Energy Efficiency 2011
- Dynamic Mechanical Properties of Passenger and Light Truck Tire Treads. February 2010 https://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NVS/Vehicle%20Research%20&%20Test%20Center%20(VRTC)/ca/Tires/811270.pdf