This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Studies on a Small-Bore Port Fuel Injected SI Engine Operated on Neat Methanol and Comparison with Gasoline
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 14, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In many Asian countries a significant automobile market share is held by two and three wheelers. Generally, cost and simplicity considerations limit the performance and emission levels of small engines. Methanol is an excellent alternative fuel for SI engines due to its high-octane number, high flame speed, presence of oxygen in its molecule and thus can be used to enhance the performance of small engines. However, use of neat methanol in SI engines poses constraints due to low energy density and poor vaporization characteristics. Also, the effectiveness of methanol as a fuel has still to be thoroughly investigated in small-bore SI engines in order to assess its potential.
In this work, a small-bore 200cc three-wheeler automotive engine was modified to operate in the port fuel injection mode with neat methanol as the fuel. Experimental studies on the engine were conducted initially at different loads at stoichiometric conditions and performance, combustion and emissions were compared with operation on gasoline under similar conditions. The effect of air fuel ratio was also studied with the two fuels in order to identify the prospects of operating the engine with lean mixtures. The engine showed improved brake thermal efficiency and lower CO2, THC, and NOx emissions with methanol as compared to gasoline. The combustion characteristics including cycle by cycle variations have also been compared. Detailed experimental results are presented and discussed in this paper.
CitationR, P., V Jose, J., Ramesh, A., and Mittal, M., "Experimental Studies on a Small-Bore Port Fuel Injected SI Engine Operated on Neat Methanol and Comparison with Gasoline," SAE Technical Paper 2022-37-0017, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-37-0017.
- Zhen , X. and Yang , W. An Overview of Methanol as an Internal Combustion Engine Fuel Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 52 2015 477 493 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.07.083
- Olah , G.A. , Goeppert , A. , and Prakash , G.K. Chemical Recycling of Carbon Dioxide to Methanol and Dimethyl Ether: From Greenhouse Gas to Renewable, Environmentally Carbon Neutral Fuels and Synthetic Hydrocarbons J Org Chem. 74 2 2009 487 498 10.1021/jo801260f
- Bazaluk , O. , Havrysh , V. , Nitsenko , V. , Baležentis , T. et al. Assessment of Green Methanol Production Potential and Related Economic and Environmental Benefits: The Case of China Energies 13 2020 3113 https://doi.org/10.3390/en13123113
- Abu-Zaid , M. , Badran , O. , and Yamin , J. Effect of Methanol Addition on the Performance of Spark Ignition Engines Energy & Fuels 18 2 2004 312 315 10.1021/ef030103d
- Yanju , W. et al. Effects of Methanol/Gasoline Blends on a Spark Ignition Engine Performance and Emissions Energy & Fuels 22 2008 1254 1259
- Liu , S. , Clemente , E.R.C. , Hu , T. , and Wei , Y. Study of Spark Ignition Engine Fueled with Methanol/Gasoline Fuel Blends Applied Thermal Engineering 27 11-12 2007 1904 1910 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2006.12.024
- Sapre , A. Properties, Performance and Emissions of Medium Concentration Methanol-Gasoline Blends in a Single-Cylinder, Spark-Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 881679 1988 https://doi.org/10.4271/881679
- Zhang , B. , Ji , C. , Wang , S. , and Liu , X. Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of a Spark-Ignition Engine Fueled with Hydrogen-Methanol Blends under Lean and Various Loads Conditions Energy 74 2014 829 835 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2014.07.055
- Wu , B. , Wang , L. , Shen , X. , and Yan , R. Comparison of Lean Burn Characteristics of an SI Engine Fueled with Methanol and Gasoline under Idle Condition Applied Thermal Engineering 95 2016 264 270 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.11.029
- Prasad , B.N. , Pandey , J.K. , and Kumar , G.N. Impact of Changing Compression Ratio on Engine Characteristics of an SI Engine Fueled with Equi-Volume Blend of Methanol and Gasoline Energy 191 116605
- Zhu , H. , Kee , R.J. , Chen , L. , Cao , J. et al. Vaporisation Characteristics of Methanol, Ethanol and Heptane Droplets in Opposed Stagnation Flow at Low Temperature and Pressure Combustion Theory and Modelling 16 4 2012 715 735 10.1080/13647830.2011.652191
- Hu , T. , Wei , Y. , Liu , S. , and Zhou , L. Improvement of Spark-Ignition (SI) Engine Combustion and Emission during Cold Start, Fueled with Methanol/Gasoline Blends Energy & Fuels 21 1 2007 171 175 10.1021/ef0603479
- Gardiner , D.P. , and Bardon , M.F. 1983 10.4271/831175
- Ichimiya , T. , Takahashi , K. , and Fuwa , Y. 1985
- Güdden , A. , Pischinger , S. , Geiger , J. , Heuser , B. et al. An Experimental Study on Methanol as a Fuel in Large Bore High Speed Engine Applications - Port Fuel Injected Spark Ignited Combustion Fuel 303 121292 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2021.121292
- Pannone , G.M. and Johnson , R.T. Methanol as a Fuel for a Lean Turbocharged Spark Ignition Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 98 1989 243 253
- Yasuda , A. et al. Development of the Second Generation Methanol Lean Burn System SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 98 1989 785 792
- Vancoillie , J. , Demuynck , J. , Sileghem , L. , Van De Ginste , M. et al. The Potential of Methanol as a Fuel for Flex-Fuel and Dedicated Spark-Ignition Engines Applied Energy 102 2013 140 149 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.05.065
- Li , B.-Z. , Liu , S.-H. , Nong , J.-J. , Gong , Y.-F. et al. Development of a Direct-Injection Stratified-Charge Methanol Engine Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering. 222 11 2008 2121 2129 10.1243/09544070JAUTO905
- Rifal , M. , and Sinaga , N. Impact of Methanol-Gasoline Fuel Blend on the Fuel Consumption and Exhaust Emission of a SI Engine AIP Conference Proceedings 020070
- Pulkrabek , W.W. Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine J Eng Gas Turbines Power 126 2004 198 198
- Daniel , R. , Tian , G. , Xu , H. et al. Ignition Timing Sensitivities of Oxygenated Biofuels Compared to Gasoline in a Direct-Injection SI Engine Fuel 99 2012 72 82
- Nguyen , D.K. , Stepman , B. , Vergote , V. et al. Combustion Characterization of Methanol in a Lean Burn Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) Engine SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0566 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0566
- Wallner , T. Correlation between Speciated Hydrocarbon Emissions and Flame Ionization Detector Response for Gasoline/Alcohol Blends Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 133 8 2011