This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Proposal of Structural Validation Criteria for Numerical Simulation and Bench Test of a Semi-trailer Suspension Parts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 10, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE BRASIL 2022 Congress
This paper presents the development of a validation criteria method for designing of spring brackets, wear pads and equalizers of a leaf spring suspension of a semi-trailer from the perspective of durability and peak loads. The method consisted of the application of a finite element model from strain data collected in the application test. The results obtained in the components during the trailer’s operation were converted into load through calibration curves. The stress-life method was adopted, correcting the mean stress by the Goodman criterion and with the calculation of accumulated damage using Palmgren-Miner with cycle counting by rainflow in the structures during the data acquisition path. The relation between damage accumulation and the life expectancy of the components, defined in a specific distance (mileage) was established. Basquin´s equation was also used. The static equivalent load approach was used, where the equivalent stress was converted into load and normalized by the technical load of the studied suspension (11 tons per axle). This procedure was repeated for the three load cases of the suspension: vertical, lateral and longitudinal. As a result, a table of boundary conditions, where fatigue and peak loads are specified as a function of the technical load, was proposed. Additionally, another contribution of this study was the proposal for loading blocks to evaluate the components, allowing the obtained results to be used to validate other similar suspensions under similar operating conditions.
CitationMichael Mollon, B. and Alberto Costa, C., "Proposal of Structural Validation Criteria for Numerical Simulation and Bench Test of a Semi-trailer Suspension Parts," SAE Technical Paper 2022-36-0013, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-36-0013.
- CNT O transporte move o Brasil 2019
- BENNET , Sean NORMAN , Ian Andrew Heavy Duty Truck Systems 5. ed. Clifton Park Delmar, Cengauge Learning 2011 1301
- SUSPENSYS www.suspensys.com/pt/a 2020
- KHOSROVANEH , A. ; PATTU , Ravi ; SCHNAIDT , W. Discussion of fatigue analysis techniques in automotive applications SAE Technical Papper 1 12 mar. 2004
- TOPAÇ, M. M.. Fatigue life prediction of a heavy vehicle steel wheel under radial loads by using finite element analysis Engineering Failure Analysis . Bornova 67 79 2011
- THILLIKKANI , S ; NATARAJ , M. Fatigue life prediction of heavy vehicle suspension system under varying load conditions Advances In Mechanical Engineering 1 10 nov. 2014
- PIJPERS , R.J.M. , SLOT , H. M. Friction Coefficients for Steel to Steel Contact Surfaces in Air and Seawater Journal of Physics: Conference Series 1669 1 Oct. 2020
- SCHIJVE , J. Fatigue of Structures and Materials 2nd ed. Delft Springer 2008
- WANNENBURG , Johann HEYNS , P. Stephan RAATH , Anton D. Application of a fatigue equivalent static load methodology for the numerical durability assessment of heavy vehicle structures International Journal Of Fatigue . Pretoria 1541 1549 2009
- JOHANNESSON , Bengt Load Analysis for Durability Verification of Components, Systems and Complete Vehicles Göteborg Volvo Group Trucks Technology 2018
- Teixeira , Giovanni de Morais Fatigue Analysis Applied to Components Design Sheffield Giovanni de Morais 2009