This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Analysis of Integrated Battery and Traction Motor Cooling Systems for Two-Wheeler Electric Vehicles Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 09, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The automotive industry is a gigantic industry as millions of vehicles are running on the road and it’s growing at a rapid rate. The emissions are causing various global problems such as global warming, green house effects, air pollutions etc. due to the use of fossil fuels in abundance. This drives to think for alternative solutions, which are eco-friendly and having less or no emissions. The electric vehicles (EVs) are the most reliable solution as it is having high performance and efficiency with zero emissions. The evolution of EVs has fuelled the two-wheeler EVs industry to flourish at a fast pace. Li-ion battery and traction motor are the most important components in two-wheeler EVs and the thermal management for battery is more important for higher efficiency with longer life and better reliability along with the traction motor to have long range and better durability.
This paper elaborates the radiator based thermal management solutions for the battery pack and the traction motor. It describes various technologies, which are being used for the thermal management of the battery pack and the traction motor. The cost and the packaging space are the bigger concerns for the OEMs (Original Equipment Manufactures) to not to go for heavier solutions, that’s why this paper discusses the integrated thermal management solutions, which is compact in size, light-weight and reliable for two-wheeler EVs for various vehicle-ranges. The liquid-based solutions have been taken into consideration to mitigate the thermal management issues in the battery pack and the traction motor in this paper. The recent incidents of the two-wheeler EVs catching fire on the road or during charging has put up the industry at the forefront to think for the reliable thermal management solutions, that’s why this research study has a very important role to play in eradicating the battery thermal issues as well as the traction motor thermal management issues.
CitationSuman, S. and Kushwah, Y., "Performance Analysis of Integrated Battery and Traction Motor Cooling Systems for Two-Wheeler Electric Vehicles Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2022-28-0413, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-28-0413.
- Mohammadian , S.K. and Zhang , Y. Thermal Management Optimization of an Air-Cooled Li-Ion Battery Module Using Pin-Fin Heat Sinks for Hybrid Electric Vehicles Columbia, MO Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of Missouri 2014
- Tao Wang , K.J. , Tseng , J.Z. , and Wei , Z. Thermal Investigation of Lithium-Ion Battery Module with Different Cell Arrangement Structures and Forced Air-Cooling Strategies Singapore EXQUISITUS, Centre for E-City, School of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Nanyang Technological University 2014
- Qian , Z. , Li , Y. , and Rao , Z. Thermal Performance of Lithium-Ion Battery Thermal Management System by Using Mini-Channel Cooling XuZhou, China School of Electric Power Engineering, China University of Mining and Technology 2016
- Rami , S. , Kizilel , R. , Selman , J.R. , and Al-Hallaj , S. Active (Air-Cooled) vs. Passive (Phase Change Material) Thermal Management of High-Power Lithium-Ion Packs: Limitation of Temperature Rise and Uniformity of Temperature Distribution Chicago, IL Center for Electrochemical Science and Engineering, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology 2008
- Mahamud , R. and Park , C. Reciprocating Air Flow for Li-Ion Battery Thermal Management to Improve Temperature Uniformity Reno, NV Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Nevada 2011
- Jarrett , A. and Kim , I.Y. Design Optimization of Electric Vehicle Battery Cooling Plates for Thermal Performance Kingston, ON, Canada Queen’s University 2011
- Yu , K. , Yang , X. , Cheng , Y. , and Li , C. Thermal Analysis and Two-Directional Air Flow Thermal Management for Lithium-Ion Battery Pack Luoyang, PR China Department of Engineering Mechanics, Henan University of Science and Technology, China Aviation Lithium-ion Battery Co., Ltd.
- Gai , Y. et al. Cooling of Automotive Traction Motors: Schemes, Examples, and Computation Methods IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 66 3 2019 1681 1692 10.1109/TIE.2018.2835397
- Bourgault , A.J. , Roy , P. , Ghosh , E. , and Kar , N.C. A Survey of Different Cooling Methods for Traction Motor Application IEEE Canadian Conference of Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE) 2019 2019
- Wolverine et al. Wolverine Heat Transfer Engineering Data Book Published at Wolverine Tube, Inc. 2013
- Huynh , T.A. and Hsieh , M.F. Performance Analysis of Permanent Magnet Motors for Electric Vehicles (EV) Traction Considering Driving Cycles Energies 11 2018 1385
- Zhu , D. , Pritchard , E.G.D. , and Silverberg , L.M. A New System Development Framework Driven by a Model-Based Testing Approach Bridged by Information Flow IEEE Systems Journal 12 3 2016 2917 2924 10.1109/JSYST.2016.2631142
- Cavazzuti , M. , Gaspari , G. , Pasquale , S. , and Stalio , E. Thermal Management of a Formula Electric Motor: Analysis and Optimization Appl. Therm. Eng. 157 2019 113733
- Huang , J. , ShoaiNaini , S. , Miller , R. , Rizzo , D. et al. A Hybrid Electric Vehicle Motor Cooling System-Design, Model, and Control IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 68 2019 4467 4478
- Gai , Y. , Kimiabeigi , M. , Chuan Chong , Y. , Widmer , J.D. et al. Cooling of Automotivetraction Motors: Schemes, Examples, and Computation Methods IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 66 2019 1681 1692
- Farsane , K. , Desevaux , P. , and Panday , P.K. Experimental Study of the Cooling of a Closed Type Electric Motor Appl. Therm. Eng. 20 2000 1321 1334
- Tao , X. , Zhou , K. , Ivanco , A. , Wagner , J.R. et al. A Hybrid Electric Vehicle Thermal Management System Nonlinear Controller Design SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1710 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1710
- Shao , L. , Hartavi Karci , A.E. , Tavernini , D. , Sorniotti , A. et al. Design Approaches and Control Strategies for Energy-Efficient Electric Machines for Electric Vehicles—A Review IEEE Access 8 2020 116900 116913
- Nawani , R. , Suman , S. , and Kushwah , Y. Parametric Analysis of Impact of Geometrical Parameters on Thermal Performance in Compact Heat Exchangers SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0025 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0025
- Mayer , B. , Schier , M. , and Friedrich , H.E. Stand-Alone Battery Thermal Management for Fast Charging of Electric Two Wheelers—Integrated Busbar Cooling Stuttgart, Germany German Aerospace Center, Institute of Vehicle Concepts 2019