This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Analysis of an SRM Driven Electric Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 05, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Due to the increased fuel costs and concern towards environmental emissions, the transportation interests of the people are leaning towards electric mobility. Since there is no ICE involved in electric vehicles, fuel and emission crisis can be eliminated. When EVs are considered, powertrain becomes the most important factor, which is responsible for driving the vehicle. Improving the powertrain is given more importance as it reflects the overall vehicle performance to a great extent. Most commonly used motor drives for EVs are permanent magnet and induction motors. The magnets, brushes involved in these motors results in complex construction as well as maintenance. Switch Reluctance Motor has various advantages over other motors such as simple construction due to absence of magnets, easy maintenance, good fault tolerance and good reliability. These advantages make it a very prominent and interesting alternative for electric vehicle applications. This work focuses on implementing the SRM drive into a vehicle model and carrying out the performance analysis. A vehicle model is built in MATLAB-Simulink environment and BMW i3 specifications are used for the same. Furtherly, SRM drive modelled using same software and is implemented onto the previously built vehicle model. The results of both cases have been analyzed and it is seen that SOC level in case of SRM drive at the end of simulation is improved by around 5% and there is significant improvement in energy consumption as well.
CitationB.R., S. and Kumar, S., "Performance Analysis of an SRM Driven Electric Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2022-28-0054, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-28-0054.
- Miri , I. , Fotouhi , A. , and Ewin , N. Electric Vehicle Energy Consumption Modelling and Estimation—A Case Study International Journal of Energy Research 45 1 2021 501 520
- Adegbohun , F. , Von Jouanne , A. , Phillips , B. , Agamloh , E. et al. High Performance Electric Vehicle Powertrain Modeling, Simulation and Validation Energies 14 5 2021 1493
- Schönknecht , A. , Babik , A. , and Rill , V. Electric Powertrain System Design of BEV and HEV Applying a Multi Objective Optimization Methodology Transportation Research Procedia 14 2016 3611 3620
- Abbasian , S. 2013
- Boukhnifer , M. , Chaibet , A. , Ouddah , N. , and Monmasson , E. SPEED ROBUST DESIGN OF SWITCHED RELUCTANCE MOTOR FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLE SYSTEM Advances in Mechanical Engineering 9 11 2017 1687814017733440
- Chaple , M. , and Bodkhe , S.B. The Simulation and Mathematical Modeling of Switched Reluctance Motor Based on Phase Winding Inductance 2017 International Conference on Energy, Communication, Data Analytics and Soft Computing (ICECDS) 3048 3052 2017
- Makwana , J.A. , Agarwal , P. , and Srivastava , S.P. Novel Simulation Approach to Analyses the Performance of In-Wheel SRM for an Electrical Vehicle 2011 International Conference on Energy, Automation and Signal 1 5 2011
- Nirgude , A. , Murali , M. , Chaithanya , N. , Kulkarni , S. et al. Nonlinear Mathematical Modeling and Simulation of Switched Reluctance Motor 2016 IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Systems (PEDES) 1 6 2016
- Dong , Q. , Qi , H. , Liu , X. , and Wang , Y. Calibration and Optimization of an Electric Vehicle Powertrain System Journal of the Chinese Institute of Engineers 41 7 2018 539 546
- Ghariani , M. , and Neji , R.
- Han , S. , Diao , K. , and Sun , X. Overview of Multi-Phase Switched Reluctance Motor Drives for Electric Vehicles Advances in Mechanical Engineering 13 9 2021 16878140211045195
- Hashemnia , N. , and Asaei , B. Comparative Study of Using Different Electric Motors in the Electric Vehicles 2008 18th International Conference on Electrical Machines 1 5 2008
- Janiaud , N. , Vallet , F.-X. , Petit , M. , and Sandou , G. Electric Vehicle Powertrain Simulation to Optimize Battery and Vehicle Performances 2010 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference 1 5 2010
- Lan , Y. , Benomar , Y. , Deepak , K. , Aksoz , A. et al. Switched Reluctance Motors and Drive Systems for Electric Vehicle Powertrains: State of the Art Analysis and Future Trends Energies 14 8 2021 2079
- Le-Huy , H. , and Brunelle , P. A Versatile Nonlinear Switched Reluctance Motor Model in Simulink Using Realistic and Analytical Magnetization Characteristics 31st Annual Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 2005. IECON 2005 6 2005
- Li , Y. , Zhu , B. , Zhang , N. , Peng , H. et al. Parameters Optimization of Two-Speed Powertrain of Electric Vehicle Based on Genetic Algorithm Advances in Mechanical Engineering 12 1 2020 1687814020901652
- Prasad , N. and Jain , S. Simulation of Switched Reluctance Motor for performance Analysis using MATLAB/SIMULINK Environment and Use of FPGA for its Control International Journal of Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering 1 1 2012 91 98
- Sieklucki , G. Optimization of Powertrain in EV Energies 14 3 2021 725
- Soares , F. and Costa Branco , P.J. Simulation of a 6/4 Switched Reluctance Motor Based on MATLAB/SIMULINK Environment IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems 37 3 2001 989 1009
- Sreejith , R. , Rajagopal , K.R. , and Singh , B. Modelling and Analysis of PMBLDC Motor Based Three Wheeler EV for Closed Loop Optimum Operation 2016 IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Systems (PEDES) 1 5 2016
- Suraksha , R. , and Manjunatha , R. Design and Testing of an Integrated Electric Vehicle Model 2021 IEEE Mysore Sub Section International Conference (MysuruCon) 703 710 2021
- Vidal-Bravo , S. , De La Cruz-Soto , J. , Paternina , M.R.A. , Borunda , M. et al. Light Electric Vehicle Powertrain: Modeling, Simulation, and Experimentation for Engineering Students Using PSIM Computer Applications in Engineering Education 28 2 2020 406 419
- Zhang , S. and Zhuan , X. Model-Predictive Optimization for Pure Electric Vehicle during a Vehicle-Following Process Mathematical Problems in Engineering 2019 2019
- Zhou , J. , Shen , X. , and Liu , D. Modeling and Simulation for Electric Vehicle Powertrain Controls 2014 IEEE Conference and Expo Transportation Electrification Asia-Pacific (ITEC Asia-Pacific) 1 4 2014
- Zhou , S. , and Lin , H. Modeling and Simulation of Switched Reluctance Motor Double Closed Loop Control System 2006 6th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation 2 6151 6155 2006