This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Combustion System for a New Generation of 2-Stroke Spark Ignition Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Conventional 2-Stroke Spark Ignition engines are characterized by very high power to weight ratios and low manufacturing costs, but also by very low thermal efficiencies and high pollutant emissions. The last issues can be fully addressed by adopting an external scavenging pump and a direct or semi-direct injection system. The implementation of these solutions requires a strong support from CFD simulations, in particular for the optimization of air-fuel mixing and combustion.
The paper presents a theoretical study on a new 2-Stroke, three cylinders, 1.3 L, Spark Ignition engine for light aircraft. The power-unit also includes an electric motor connected in parallel with the thermal engine. The latter features a supercharger and a two-stage injection system, made up of a set of low-pressure fuel injectors installed on the transfer ports, and a high-pressure gasoline injector on the cylinder head.
While a previous paper  describes the general design guidelines and the overall performances predicted for this engine, the current study is focused on the development of the combustion system, driven by 3D-CFD multi-cycle simulations. In particular, the paper reviews the main steps followed for the set-up of the injection and ignition parameters at the condition of maximum power, as well as for the design of an “open” pre-chamber.
The simulation results show that the proposed system, with an optimized combination of dual stage injection, piston-controlled ports and open pre-chamber, can be a good basis for achieving a regular and efficient combustion at all the operating conditions of interest for an aircraft piston engine. The concept can be extended also to other types of 2-Stroke high-speed SI engines, suitable for motorcycles, small boats, snow-mobiles et cetera.
CitationScrignoli, F., Mattarelli, E., Rinaldini, C., and Savioli, T., "Development of a Combustion System for a New Generation of 2-Stroke Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2022-24-0040, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-24-0040.
- Caprioli , S. , Rinaldini , C. , Mattarelli , E. , Savioli , T. et al. Design of a Novel 2-Stroke SI Engine for Hybrid Light Aircraft SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-1179 2021 https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-1179
- MARELLI 2021 https://www.marelli.com/marelli-wins-2021-automotive-news-pace-award/
- Zhu S. , Akehurst S. , Lewis A. , and Yuan H. A Review of the Pre-chamber Ignition System Applied on Future Low-Carbon Spark Ignition Engines Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 154 111872 2022 10.1016/j.rser.2021.111872
- Toulson , E. , Schock , H.J. , and Attard , W.P. A Review of Pre-Chamber Initiated Jet Ignition Combustion Systems SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2263 2010 https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2263
- Winkler , F. , Oswald , R. , Schögl , O. , Kirchberger , R. et al. Application of Low Pressure Direct Injection and Semi-Direct Injection to a Small Capacity Two-Stroke Engine SAE Technical Paper 2008-32-0059 2008 https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-32-0059
- Oswald , R. , Ebner , A. , and Kirchberger , R. High Efficient 125- 250 cm 3 LPDI Two-Stroke Engines, a Cheap and Robust Alternative to Four-Stroke Solutions? SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0019 2010 https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-32-0019
- Krimplstätter , S. , Winkler , F. , Oswald , R. , and Kirchberger , R. Air Cooled 50cm 3 Scooter Euro 4 Application of the Two-Stroke LPDI Technology SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0008 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-32-0008
- Winkler , F. , Oswald , R. , Schögl , O. , Abis , A. et al. Layout and Development of a 300 cm 3 High Performance 2S-LPDI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-32-0832 2015
- Balduzzi , F. et al. Development of a Low Pressure Direct Injection System for a Small 2S Engine. Part I - CFD Analysis of the Injection Process SAE International Journal of Engines 8 4 2015 1885 1897
- Romani , L. , Vichi , G. , Ferrara , G. , Balduzzi , F. et al. Development of a Low Pressure Direct Injection System for a Small 2S Engine. Part II - Experimental Analysis of the Engine Performance and Pollutant Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1730 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1730
- Balduzzi , F. , Vichi , G. , Romani , L. , and Ferrara , G. CFD Analysis of the Effect of the Injection Pressure on a Small 2S LPDI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-32-0760 2015
- Romani , L. , Vichi , G. , Balduzzi , F. , Bianchini , A. et al. Fine-Tuning of a Two Stoke Engine in Full Power Configuration Provided with a Low Pressure Direct Injection System Energy Procedia 126 2017 987 994 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.08.251
- Ciampolini , M. , Bigalli , S. , Balduzzi , F. , Bianchini , A. et al. CFD Analysis of the Fuel-Air Mixture Formation Process in Passive Prechambers for Use in a High-Pressure Direct Injection (HPDI) Two-Stroke Engine Energies 13 11 2020 2846 10.3390/en13112846
- Bosi , L. , Ciampolini , M. , Romani , L. , Balduzzi , F. et al. Experimental Analysis on the Effects of Passive Prechambers on a Small 2-Stroke Low-Pressure Direct Injection (LPDI) Engine SAE Technical Paper 2020-32-2305 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-32-2305
- Zhao Z. and Cui H. Numerical Investigation on Combustion Processes of an Aircraft Piston Engine Fueled with Aviation Kerosene and Gasoline Energy 239 122264 2022 10.1016/j.energy.2021.122264
- Attard , W.P. , Blaxill , H. , Anderson , E.K. , and Litke , P. Knock Limit Extension with a Gasoline Fueled Pre-Chamber Jet Igniter in a Modern Vehicle Powertrain SAE Int. J. Engines 5 3 2012 1201 1215 10.4271/2012-01-1143
- 2021 https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/Views/Secured/corp/v211/en/forte_th/forte_th.html