This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Software-in-the-Loop Validation of an Artificial Neural Network-Based Engine Simulator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Due to the ever increasingly stringent emission regulations for passenger vehicles, the efficiency and performance increase of Spark Ignition (SI) engines have been under the focus of the engine manufacturers. The quest for efficiency and performance increase has led to the development of increasingly complex powertrains and control strategies. The development process requires novel methods that feature a smooth transition between the real and the virtual prototypes. Furthermore, to reduce the development time and cost, developing an engine simulator with a low computational effort and good accuracy, which predicts the engine behavior on the entire operating range, plays a crucial role.
This work proposes an Artificial Intelligence-based engine simulator for a Spark Ignition engine. The simulator relies on Neural Networks for the calculation of the main combustion metrics.
In the first part of this paper, the data acquired at the engine test cell are analyzed. A shallow neural network model is set up in Matlab for modelling the combustion phase and the knock intensity. The training of the network is performed with a Design of Experiment (DoE) approach, where different numbers of neurons are tested using training algorithms and activation functions. The output of the simulation is then compared to the experimental values. The results are evaluated using the Root Mean Square Error and R-square indexes, and the combination of the number of neurons, training algorithm, and activation function, which yield the lowest error and the highest R-square, are selected.
In the second part, the ANN models are then coupled to analytical sub-models previously developed and individually validated, to build a complete engine simulator, and they are implemented in Simulink. The performance of this simulator is then evaluated by comparing simulated results and experimental data, both under steady-state and transient conditions.
CitationShethia, F., Mecagni, J., Brusa, A., and Cavina, N., "Development and Software-in-the-Loop Validation of an Artificial Neural Network-Based Engine Simulator," SAE Technical Paper 2022-24-0029, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-24-0029.
- Chiodi , M. , Perrone , A. , Roberti , P. , Bargende , M. et al. 3D-CFD Virtual Engine Test Bench of a 1.6 Liter Turbo-Charged GDI-Race-Engine with Focus on Fuel Injection SAE Int. J. Engines 6 3 2013 1834 1845 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0149
- Kaechele , A. , Chiodi , M. , and Bargende , M. Virtual Full Engine Development: 3D-CFD Simulations of Turbocharged Engines under Transient Load Conditions SAE Int. J. Engines 11 6 2018 697 713 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0170
- Pal , P. , Kolodziej , C. , Choi , S. , Som , S. et al. Development of a Virtual CFR Engine Model for Knocking Combustion Analysis SAE Int. J. Engines 11 6 2018 1069 1082 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0187
- Vacca , A. , Cupo , F. , Chiodi , M. , Bargende , M. et al. The Virtual Engine Development for Enhancing the Compression Ratio of DISI-Engines Combining Water Injection, Turbulence Increase and Miller Strategy SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 3 1 2021 685 701 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-37-0010
- Riegler , U.G. and Bargende , M. Direct Coupled 1D/3D-CFD-Computation (GT-Power/Star-CD) of the Flow in the Switch-Over Intake System of an 8-Cylinder SI Engine with External Exhaust Gas Recirculation SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0901 2002 https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0901
- Northrop , W. and Zarling , D. One-Dimensional Modeling of a Thermochemical Recuperation Scheme for Improving Spark-Ignition Range Extender Engine Efficiency SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 2 2 2020 543 550 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0066
- de Castro Radicchi , F. , Vieira , J.M.G. , Fonseca , L. , Barros , J.E.M. et al. Numerical Analysis of an Internal Combustion Engine Using One-Dimensional Computational Models SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0377 2015 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0377
- Scocozza , G. , Silvagni , G. , Brusa , A. , Cavina , N. et al. Development and Validation of a Virtual Sensor for Estimating the Maximum in-Cylinder Pressure of SI and GCI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2021-24-0026 2021 https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-24-0026
- Brusa , A. , Cavina , N. , Rojo , N. , Mecagni , J. et al. Development and Experimental Validation of an Adaptive, Piston-Damage-Based Combustion Control System for SI Engines: Part 1—Evaluating Open-Loop Chain Performance Energies 14 17 2021 5367 https://doi.org/10.3390/en14175367
- De Bellis , V. , Malfi , E. , Bozza , F. , Kumar , D. et al. Experimental and 0D Numerical Investigation of Ultra-Lean Combustion Concept to Improve the Efficiency of SI Engine SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 3 4 2021 1993 2008 https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0384
- Wu , H. and Li , M. A Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) Bench Test of a GT-Power Fast Running Model for Rapid Control Prototyping (RCP) Verification SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0549 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0549
- Ranuzzi , F. , Cavina , N. , Brusa , A. , De Cesare , M. et al. Development and Software in the Loop Validation of a Model-based Water Injection Combustion Controller for a GDI TC Engine SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1174 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1174
- Gautam , P.S. , Vishnoi , P.K. , and Gupta , V.K. A Single Zone Thermodynamic Simulation Model for Predicting the Combustion and Performance Characteristics of a CI Engine and Its Validation Using Statistical Analysis Fuel 315 2022 123285 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2022.123285
- Ranuzzi , F. , Cavina , N. , Scocozza , G. , Brusa , A. et al. Experimental Validation of a Model-Based Water Injection Combustion Control System for On-Board Application SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0015 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0015
- Gambarotta , A. and Lucchettilng , G. Control-Oriented ‘Crank-Angle’ Based Modeling of Automotive Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0144 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-24-0144
- Hoth , A. , Pulpeiro Gonzalez , J. , Kolodziej , C. , and Rockstroh , T. Effects of Lambda on Knocking Characteristics and RON Rating SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 1 3 2019 1188 1201 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0627
- Szybist , J. , Wagnon , S. , Splitter , D. , Pitz , W. et al. The Reduced Effectiveness of EGR to Mitigate Knock at High Loads in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 10 5 2017 2305 2318 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0061
- Matlab Documentation The MathWorks 2021 https://www.mathworks.com/
- Egan , D. , Koli , R. , Zhu , Q. , and Prucka , R. Use of Machine Learning for Real-Time Non-Linear Model Predictive Engine Control SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1289 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1289
- Vaughan , A. and Bohac , S.V. Real-Time, Adaptive Machine Learning for Non-stationary, Near Chaotic Gasoline Engine Combustion Time Series Neural Networks 70 2015 18 26 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neunet.2015.04.007
- Ravaglioli , V. , Moro , D. , Serra , G. , and Ponti , F. MFB50 On-Board Evaluation Based on a Zero-Dimensional ROHR Model SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1420 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1420
- Bozza , F. , De Bellis , V. , Minarelli , F. , and Cacciatore , D. Knock and Cycle by Cycle Analysis of a High Performance V12 Spark Ignition Engine. Part 2: 1D Combustion and Knock Modeling SAE Int. J. Engines 8 5 2015 2002 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2393
- Kozarac , D. , Tomic , R. , Taritas , I. , Chen , J. et al. A Model for Prediction of Knock in the Cycle Simulation by Detail Characterization of Fuel and Temperature Stratification SAE Int. J. Engines 8 4 2015 1520 1534 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1245
- Papaioannou , N. , Leach , F. , and Davy , M. Improving the Uncertainty of Exhaust Gas Temperature Measurements in Internal Combustion Engines Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 142 7 2020 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4047283
- Matlab Documentation The Math Works 2021 https://it.mathworks.com/help/deeplearning/ug/train-and-apply-multilayer-neural-networks.html
- Matlab Documentation The Math Works 2021 https://it.mathworks.com/help/deeplearning/ug/choose-a-multilayer-neural-network-training-function.html;jsessionid=281eabc2c22a6da1f137b7337085
- Matlab Documentation The Math Works 2021 https://it.mathworks.com/products/deep-learning.html
- Szybist , J.P. and Splitter , D.A. Pressure and Temperature Effects on Fuels with Varying Octane Sensitivity at High Load in SI Engines Combustion and Flame 177 2017 49 66 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2016.12.002
- Mecagni , J. , Brusa , A. , Cavina , N. , Corti , E. et al. Control-Oriented Exhaust Gas Temperature Modelling Based on Wiebe Equation SAE Int. J. Engines 14 5 697 712 2021 10.4271/03-14-05-0042
- Kar , K. , Roberts , S. , Stone , R. , Oldfield , M. et al. Instantaneous Exhaust Temperature Measurements Using Thermocouple Compensation Techniques SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1418 2004 https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1418
- Papaioannou , N. , Leach , F. , and Davy , M. Improving the Uncertainty of Exhaust Gas Temperature Measurements in Internal Combustion Engines J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power. 142 7 2020 071007 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4047283
- Gat , U. , Kammer , D. , and Hahn , O.J. The Effect of Temperature Dependent Properties on Transient Measurement with Intrinsic Thermocouple International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 18 1975 1337 1342
- Henning , C.D. and Parker , R. Transient Response of an Intrinsic Thermocouple J. Heat Transfer. 89 2 1967 146 152 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3614337
- Brusa , A. , Mecagni , J. , Cavina , N. , Corti , E. et al. Development and Experimental Validation of a Control- Oriented Empirical Exhaust Gas Temperature Model SAE Technical Paper 2020-24-0008 2020 https://doi. org/10.4271/2020-24-0008
- Cieśliński , J.T. , Smolen , S. , and Sawicka , D. Free Convection Heat Transfer from Horizontal Cylinders Energies 14 2021 559 https://doi.org/10.3390/en14030559
- Ahmed , G. and Yovanovich , M. Experimental Study of Forced Convection from Isothermal Circular and Square Cylinders and Toroids Journal of Heat Transfer-transactions of The ASME - J Heat Transfer 119 1997 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2824102
- Cavina , N. , Brusa , A. , Rojo , N. , and Corti , E. Statistical Analysis of Knock Intensity Probability Distribution and Development of 0-D Predictive Knock Model for a SI TC Engine SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0858 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0858