This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on Gesture Recognition Algorithm Based on Millimeter-Wave Radar in Vehicle Scene
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 31, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the increasing intelligence of human society, people's demand for human-computer interaction is also increasing. As an important communication medium for human to express information, gesture has always been an important topic in human-computer interaction. Using gesture recognition technology in the vehicle environment can reduce the operation difficulty during driving, reduce the possibility of driver distraction, and greatly improve driving safety and driving experience. Millimeter wave radar can effectively protect the privacy in the car from being leaked, and can still work normally in the dark interior environment. Moreover, with the development of millimeter wave technology from 24g to 60g and 77g, the improvement of its resolution further improves its ability to detect small displacement. Therefore, the gesture recognition technology using millimeter wave radar has been developed. In this paper, 3DCNN and series LSTM network structures are designed, and 3DCNN network, 3DCNN-LSTM and 3DCNN-ECA-LSTM networks are used for training and verification respectively. The experiment shows that the average recognition accuracy of 3DCNN-ECA-LSTM is the highest, up to 98.2%, which is about 5% higher than that of traditional 3DCNN, and the ECA3D module improves the accuracy of the whole network by 2%. Then 3DCNN-ECA-LSTM is used to take range - Doppler and horizontal angle - range image as the first group of inputs, range- Doppler and pitch angle - range image as the second group of inputs, and range Doppler and horizontal angle - range map and pitch angle -range map as the third group of inputs. It is analyzed that the average recognition rate of the network integrating the three features is more than 4% higher than that of the other two networks.
CitationWang, X., Bai, J., Zhu, X., Huang, L. et al., "Research on Gesture Recognition Algorithm Based on Millimeter-Wave Radar in Vehicle Scene," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-7017, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-7017.
- Wang , C. , Wang , Y. , and Wagner , J. Evaluation of a Robust Haptic Interface for Semi-Autonomous Vehicles SAE Intl. J CAV 2 2 2019 99 114 https://doi.org/10.4271/12-02-02-0007
- Wang , C. , Alexander , K. , Pidgeon , P. , and Wagner , J. Use of Cellphones as Alternative Driver Inputs in Passenger Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1239 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1239
- Zeng , Z. , Pantic , M. , Roisman , G.I. , et al. Survey of Affect Recognition Methods: Audio, Visual,and Spontaneous Expressions IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and MachineIntelligence 2009 31 1 39 58
- Deng , M. Robust Human Gesture Recognition by Leveraging Multi-Scale Feature Fusion Signal Process. Image Commun. 83 2019 115768
- John , V. , Umetsu , M. , Boyali , A. , Mita , S. et al. Real-Time Hand Posture and Gesture-Based Touchless Automotive User Interface Using Deep Learning Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) Redondo Beach, CA 2017 869 874
- Li , X. Human-Robot Interaction Based on Gesture and Movement Recognition Signal Process. Image Commun. 81 2020 115686
- Rautaray , S.S. and Agrawal , A. Vision Based Hand Gesture Recognition for Human Computer Interaction: A Survey Artif. Intell. Rev. 43 2015 1 54
- Almasre , M.A. and Al-Nuaim , H. Recognizing Arabic Sign Language Gestures Using Depth Sensors and a KSVM Classifier Proceedings of the 2016 8th Computer Science and Electronic Engineering (CEEC) Colchester, UK 2016 146 151
- Wu , C.-H. and Lin , C.H. Depth-Based Hand Gesture Recognition for Home Appliance Control Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Symposium on Consumer Electronics (ISCE) Hsinchu, Taiwan 2013 279 280
- Gupta , S. ; Molchanov , P. ; Yang , X. ; Kim , K. ; Tyree , S. ; Kautz , J. Towards Selecting Robust Hand Gestures for Automotive Interfaces Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) Gothenburg, Sweden 2016 1350 1357
- Effective Hand Gesture Recognition by Key Frame Selection and 3D Neural Network Smart Media Journal 9 1 2020 23 29
- Zhao , W. , Chellappa , R. , Phillips , P.J. et al. Face Recognition: A Literature Survey ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR) 35 4 2003 399 458
- Molchanov , P. , Gupta , S. , Kim , K. et al. Multi-Sensor System for Driver’s Hand-Gesture Recognition IEEE International Conference & Workshops on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition 2015
- Li , G. , Zhang , R. , Ritchie , M. , and Griffiths , H. Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE Radar Conference (RadarConf) Seattle, WA 2017 928 931
- Skaria , S. , Al-Hourani , A. , Lech , M. , and Evans , R.J. Hand-Gesture Recognition Using Two Antenna Doppler Radar with Deep Convolutional Neural Networks IEEE Sens. J. 19 2019 3041 3048
- Zhang , S. , Li , G. , Ritchie , M. , Fioranelli , F. et al. Dynamic Hand Gesture Classification Based on Radar Micro-Doppler Signatures Proceedings of the 2016 CIE International Conference on Radar (RADAR) Guangzhou, China 2016 1 4
- Wu , Q. and Zhao , D. Dynamic Hand Gesture Recognition Using FMCW Radar Sensor for Driving Assistance Proceedings of the 2018 10th International Conference on Wireless Communications and Signal Processing (WCSP) Hangzhou, China 2018 1 6