Improving the Performance of the Air Conditioning Unit in Different Locations of a City Bus and Lightening the Air Ducts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 03, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
The focus of this study is to validate vehicle test results of the air conditioning (AC) unit in a city bus and perform a comparative computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis on homogenizing the cabin air distribution in different AC unit locations on the rooftop. To validate CFD practical results, a vehicle test was performed outdoor during the AC unit works. Obtained test results based on airflow rate inside AC unit and also measured velocity values on the front cabin of air duct were validated without completely modeling the whole AC unit and indoor cabin via CFD. With this simplified method, it is thought that this approach can give an idea for new prototype air duct designs in relevant industries. Another advantage to this approach is that it avoids high mesh density near the radial fans (blowers) placed on the AC unit. Foam placed in air ducts as insulation and air blockage material is also optimized for air distribution in the indoor cabin. In conclusion, several foams and air duct designs are reviewed, and a design that represents the most appropriate homogenous air distribution and lightweight air duct is proposed.
CitationÖzcan, O., Demirtaş, S., Yıldız, A., and Coşkun, A., "Improving the Performance of the Air Conditioning Unit in Different Locations of a City Bus and Lightening the Air Ducts," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-5044, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-5044.
- Lin , B. , Wang , X. , and Hu , X. Research on the Effect of Natural Ventilation on Buses in Summer Advanced Materials Research 361-363 2011 1056 1060
- Shafie , N.E.A. , Kamar , H.M. , and Kamsah , N. Reducing Indoor Air Contaminants inside a Bus Passenger Compartment International Journal of Mechanical & Mechatronics Engineering 15 2015 81 87
- Vollaro , R.D.L. , Grignaffini , S. , and Vallati , A. Numerical Analysis and Measures for the Evaluation of Comfort inside Buses Used for Public Transport WIT Transactions on the Built Environment 101 2008 373 383
- Tan , C.F. , Tee , B.T. , Law , H.C. , and Lim , T.L. CFD Investigation on Long-Haul Passenger Bus Materials Science and Engineering 88 2015 012025
- Li , H.F. , Tu , J.Y. , and Subic , A. The 12th Biennial Computational Techniques and Applications Conference
- Fluent Inc. 2003